Chapter 24 - Sorrow, sank deep inside my blood

I jumped up and run towards the door when the doorbell rang. I had to leave as soon as possible. I was suffocating.

"Hey," I breathed as soon my eyes met his tall figure. His presence somehow eased my insides. Damien frowned as he walked passed me. He studied me for a while before speaking.

"Why are you really leaving?" he asked and put a cigarette between his lips. I took my eyes away from him and walked to the fridge to get the food containers, my mother instructed on taking with me. He followed me with his eyes.

"I talked to Cleo," I replied; my voice low but steady. I heard him breathe out the smoke. "Why you never told me she wasn't talking to you?" I asked and put the food containers on the kitchen counter as I turned to look at him; the hurt visible in my features and voice.

"It wasn't necessary," he replied.

"I was anxious because I didn't know what she thought about us. Well it's obvious she made up her mind as soon as I told her!" I exclaimed.

"First of all," he said and took the cigarette between his index finger and his thumb to remove it from his lips "Calm down," he looked at me.

"She's your sister!" I threw my hands in the air "I'm her best friend," I said; my voice turning down "I can't do that," I winced.

"What's that supposed to mean?" he frowned.

"Nothing," I lied "I'll stay with James for a while," I mumbled "I need to calm down, obviously."

"Your semester finals are in ten days," he frowned.

"I know," I said. I didn't want to say that I'll be back by then. I didn't know what was going to happen. I hated leaving him behind. I took the food containers from the counter and walked out the garage and left them on the passenger's seat.

"Can I still call you?" he asked. I turned towards him. He looked anxious as he stood in the doorway, gazing at me with those amazing grey eyes. I couldn't help but smile a little.

"Of course," I told him and walked up to him. I put my arms around his neck and pulled him to my level for a small kiss. A smile appeared on his lips too.

"Are you sure, your bug will take you up there?" he smiled. I narrowed my eyes took a step back.

"Leave my bug alone, Simmons," I shook my finger into his face. He chuckled and grabbed my finger. "Ouch!" I exclaimed as he twisted it.

"Just a reminder," he smirked; my favorite dimple appeared on his left cheek. I stood on my toes and put my arms around his neck again. He leaned down and touched his lips to mine, parting them and stroking my tongue with his. "Call me as soon as you get there please," he said when he released me.

"Okay," I nodded and locked the door to my garage. I wasn't planning on letting him know about what Cleo and I actually talked about.

[+++]

I've been staying with James for the past five days and been talking to Damien everyday; not at all trying to disguise the discomfort I feel. Max said that Cleo was in her room all day, pretending to study.

I was occupying my brother's living room pretending to do the same thing. The first night I arrived he sat me down and wanted to know why I was playing fugitive. After I explained everything, he said I was right. Kind of. He said that running away wasn't the right move. I should have stayed there, according to my brother, and fight for the right to be with Damien. James was right and I am a coward! The fact that my confidence had abandoned me was a huge reason for my departure.