Chapter 25 - The hardest thing I've ever done

After Damien left the following day I decided it was time to suck it up and go home. I wanted to stay close to Damien before he left. If Cleo had a problem, she would have to deal with it. I was very excited to go back to him; spend with him the last twelve days. And in order to get a full dose of Damien was to be brave and finally face Cleo; even if she didn't called me at all the seven days I was in the City.

Later that afternoon, when Damien called me after work, I was still considering telling him that I've decided to return home, but I changed my mind quickly. It would be easier for me like that; not feeling any pressure. I still had to ask him what would happen with us after he moves to Italy for the next two years. That was one of the things that made me anxious.

I was worrying about Cleo way too much. I left town because Cleo wasn't talking to her brother. How was I supposed to be with Damien before he left and stand by my decision and belief that nothing should come between two siblings?

[+++]

As I was too wrapped up in my drama to be in a mood for drinks the past week, I asked James to go out together.

I was done eating my lasagna and excused myself from the table I was having dinner with my brother, in order to go to the bathroom. As I walked by the restaurant bar, I noticed a tall blonde, familiar figure leaning alone against the bar counter.

That's what confused me. He was never alone. If he was in the mood to go out, he would probably have company; or at least Louis, his bodyguard, would be there. I shook my head and walked towards the bathroom.

No way that that guy, drinking alone in a restaurant, was Alex. Alexander White was never alone. In public at least. Because he was the loneliest person I've ever met. The time when I tried to get close to him and almost made him feel something, felt like a million years ago.

I opened the heavy door of the bathroom and walked into the hallway. I had to put a lot of strength to pull the door towards me and open it. From the force I used I almost stumbled on my feet in the hallway and bumped on to someone.

"I'm so sor-," I begun to apologize but my breath caught in my lungs. It really was Alex. But it wasn't the same Alex I once knew. He was unshaved and looked exhausted; and drunk. My heart didn't flinch as I was afraid it would.

"Yeah, whatever," he mumbled and turned his eyes towards my direction for the first time. I saw the look in his eyes as he realized it was me. He masked his expression and turned his eyes elsewhere before he started walking towards the bathroom.

"Alex?" I called, my voice almost pleading. I've never seen him like this.

"What?" he replied as he stopped. He only turned his head sideways; his eyes staying on the ground. The Alex I knew never looked down at the floor.

"What's wrong?" I asked and took a step forward. I heard someone walking behind me and turned towards the sound. A woman walked passed me and entered the bathroom.

"Mind your business," he said and started walking again. I frowned and bit my lip. His words hurt, but not the way it used to be. I finally walked back to the table where James was waiting for me.

"I was about to send the SWAT team looking for you," he joked but when he noticed me he frowned "What happened?"

"I just saw Alex back there," I said slowly; still trying to comprehend what had happened.

"Oh," he only managed to say but I knew he was worried; his brown eyes searching for something on my face.

"No, don't worry, I'm completely fine," I assured him. And I wasn't lying. "But he wasn't," I winced and explained in full detail what happened.