one

"Ariana, you should really finish packing, we are leaving in a few hours," my mother stands in front of my bed, looking at me with one raised eyebrow.

"I will, as soon as I finish this episode," I say, referring to the Outer Banks episode that was playing on my laptop screen.

"No, there will be no more Pogues unless you finish packing!" she says in a sharp tone before she closes my laptop and grabs it.

Inside, I wanted to laugh at the way she said Pogues. I didn't want to upset her anymore, though, so I press the thought away.

I huff, "But, it's the new season! Every episode is a cliffhanger, mom, I can't just watch one and be done."

"I know, but the longer you bicker with me the more time you are wasting. Hurry up, please!" she gives a gentle smile.

She knows? Did she watch the new season already? Without me?

"Mom?" I question but she is already out of my room, snickering down the hallway.

I sigh and roll off my bed. I know that within the hour my laptop will be back in my room because that is what she always does. It is just her way of motivating me to do whatever it is I need to do.

I don't have much left to pack, my comforter, the small amount of journals and books that I want to take have already been put in boxes, along with most of my nicer clothes. All I really need to do is pack my regular clothes, my film and music equipment.

An hour and a half later, I am finished with my packing and I look over at my empty dresser, and sure enough, my laptop was placed right in the middle. I smile as I grab it and lay on my bed, pulling up the episode where I last left off. I think I was right where Pope, Kie and JJ were in Charleston..

"Ari!" my mother calls from the bottom of the stairs.

You have got to be kidding me.

I silently scream as I get up and run towards the stairs. I trip over my fuzzy pant leg in the process and when I reach them, she is not at the bottom, but I hear soft chatter. I wonder who could be here when we are leaving to go to campus soon?

I head into the family room, where I find my mother with Cheryl, my best friends mom. Alexa went to UCLA, their move-in dates were earlier than mine, she must have just gotten back. We originally planned to go to the same college together in Florida, but when both of our moms told us we were moving to Washington, we both somehow knew that it wasn't going to happen. We didn't say anything to each other about it, not even during senior year; we both just knew that we knew what was going to happen.

Washington State has been my top pick since freshman year. I didn't want to be too far away from my mom or the scenery Washington has to offer. I felt at home here and I'm not ready to leave that feeling just yet. Alexa, on the other hand, has been dying to get out of this rainy state since she got her permit. That's why she went with California, she gets to be in the place that makes her feel at home.

And before you ask; yes. Our parents did uproot both of their lives after they both got divorced after they found out both of their husbands were having affairs. With sisters. Twins.

Life really likes to throw curveballs at you when you least expect it.

"Cheryl, hi! Please excuse my pajama's, I just finished packing," I laugh and give her a hug.

"Oh, no worries! But, I don't know if I can handle my other baby going off so soon," she sniffles.

"How is Alexa? Does she like it so far, is her roommate nice?" I curiously ask.