four

My alarm goes off at six-thirty. My first class does not start until nine, but I want to make sure I have enough time and to see if I make it early enough to set it to seven.

I run my hands over my face before I get out of bed and grab my toiletries. The idea of wearing jeans and a oversized hoodie seems appealing, but I push that aside as I pick out a lavender baby doll style dress and some white flats.

The halls are pretty empty, a few early birds like me wandering around, and I am thankful that when I get to the showers, it is not too crowded.

I make it a few minutes longer than I normally would, making sure I shave my legs before I finish and change. I wrap my hair in a towel before I brush my teeth.

I keep the towel wrapped around my head as I walk back to the dorm, I don't want the back of my dress being all wet and gross on the first day. When I open the door, Lili is just now getting up.

"Good morning," I say softly, not wanting to be too loud.

"Good morning," she smiles.

"What time is your first class?" I ask as I grab my brush.

"Nine-fifteen. But, I'll get there at nine, I don't like getting there five minutes before, it stresses me out," she giggles.

"I'm like that."

She leaves to take a shower and I blow dry my hair. Once I'm done, I pull half of it back in a white scrunchie. I know that later in the day I will end up putting it in a messy bun or something along those lines.

I debate on whether or not I should curl it, I have the time but is it pointless for me to do so?

I sigh to myself before I grab my curling iron, I love my hair curled, even if I know full well it will be up in a bun by the end of the day. Might as well let it look presentable for the first day.

When I start to gather all of my things for class, Lili comes back. She is wearing a white ruffle blouse and skinny jeans.

"That's cute!" I compliment.

She thanks me and I say goodbye as I head towards the cafe to see if they have any coffee, and possibly grab a light breakfast. The walk is nice, the sun is out for once, and you can hear all of the birds. There's a few kids rushing around, but most of them are taking their time. You really couldn't ask for better first day weather.

I scan the drinks and food items before I order an iced mocha coffee and a cinnamon bagel. I check the time on my phone and see I still have twenty five minutes left before it's nine. Today I have Materials and Structures of Music II, Class Piano II, Literature, ASL I and I end with Intro to Film. I will not always end with film class, just twice a week.

I eat the rest of my bagel as I make my way to my first class, more people have started to make their ways to the cafe and outside sitting area. Good thing I got here when I did otherwise there would have been a long wait.

I do not see anyone I know, so I walk alone and admire the campus before finding my class. I sit in a seat in the first row, off to the left rather than in the middle.

Professor Bledsoe teaches both Structures of Music and Piano, so I feel more comfortable knowing that I have him twice a day and don't have to worry about remembering another professors name. He hands out the syllabus and talks about it, along with some of the assignments and projects we will do.

When I get to Literature, I see Lili sitting in the front row.

"Lili!" I rush over to her and take the seat to her right.

"I thought you had this as your first class?" I ask.

She rolls her eyes, "There was some sort of scheduling issue that took, I am not kidding, two hours. So, I missed my second class and I'm positive that will not look good on my end."

She looks at the time before she continues, "I had to switch one of my writing classes so I could get in this class."

"What a first day," I sigh.

She nods her head in agreement and the professor begins to repeat the same cycle as all of the others. I make a mental note to get this weeks assignment done before Thursday so I have time to look for a job, otherwise I will be completely screwed.

My ASL class is a lot more interesting than I expected, and by the end of the semester we should be signing ninety percent of the time in class. Professor Bailey says it's good to sign outside of class so we don't forget specific ones, which makes me nervous because no one else I know is taking this class. I feel like it will be awkward if I sign, but I push that thought away as she dismisses us.

I walk back to the dorm, feeling a little more calm now that I know what to expect and what to do. College is a lot different than I expected, and at this moment it seems easier, but I know that within two weeks I will be saying the complete opposite.

I set my things at the end of my bed and grab my planner, and I mark down assignment due dates and quizzes. I start on this weeks assignment for music. Once I'm done, I pick up my copy of Wuthering Heights and begin to reread it for the hundredth time for Literature.

"What a first day," are the first words out of Lili's mouth when she walks through the door.

I close my book and look at her, "Any more scheduling conflicts?"

She lets her bag fall to the floor and flings her hair into a bun, "You know that one writing class I had to switch for the Literature one?"

I nod.

"I had to switch my second writing class for a Forensic one because somehow, they messed that up when I had to originally switch the first one!"

"And now you take Forensics?" I ask, hold I back a smile.

"I'm not even majoring in Forensics! Or any criminal justice!" she exclaims.

I laugh as she runs her hands through her hair.

"I honestly have no idea how this stuff happens. It's so messed up."

"It's just one of those days," I say.

She nods her head in agreement and I go back to reading as she writes in her planner.

After what feels like a few moments, I look up at my clock and see that is seven.

"Do you want to order something in? Or I could go out and get it?"

"I know it's not Friday but can we order a pizza?" she asks.

"I think you deserve it, it's been a day for you." I laugh as I look up local pizza places.

I make an order for a medium pizza and a salad for me, pizza always comes back up when I eat it, so I stay away from it.

Soon enough, the food arrives and Lili and I talk about our classes and our favorite books before we prepare ourselves for the next day.