seven

"Where did you look?" Lili asks as we get ready for our classes.

"Horizon's Corner, it's a library with a bakery mixed in, it's really cute," I answer.

I leave out the part about Harry working there, it's not my place to say anything. He did tell me he wants to keep it a secret and I will respect his wishes.

The day goes by relatively fast, and when I get back to the dorm I receive a call from an unknown number.

"Hello?" my voice is not my normal tone, it's more of a cautious one.

"Ariana? It's Harry," his raspy voice comes through.

"Oh, hi! How did you get my number?" I ask.

"I looked at your application, which you didn't mention to me yesterday that you applied here," he says and I picture him with a sly smirk.

"I suppose the cheesecake was just too good, I forgot about it. Why did you call?"

"Oh, Miss. Rose wanted me to tell you that you got the job. I hope you didn't get another job offer," he informs me.

I don't tell him that I was stupid and forgot to apply at other places.

"Really? Tell her I said thank you! Do I need to come in and fill out any forms?" I ask.

"Ehm, hold on," he tells me before I hear muffled voices.

"Is it an issue if you come in today," he asks, "if it is you can come in tomorrow."

I look at my planner, "I can, I'll be there in fifteen minutes."

We say our goodbyes and I gather my belongings, I pack my planner and journal too, just in case I stay there for the rest of the night.

On the drive there, a smile creeps onto my face. I will never leave that place, I see myself just making up some excuses just to stay after closing. Just so I can read the books and I can mark favourites, just so I can sit with a cup of tea organising the old, torn books next to the newer ones.

After I park and walk down the street, I notice the store is more busy than it was yesterday. The bakery is, anyway.

I find, whom I now know is Miss. Rose, and ask her what forms I need to fill out.

"Ignore the forms, we never did those in my time," she says.

"Not to be rude, but does that go against protocol?" I ask.

She smiles, "Who needs that? Even though you don't work in the bakery, we all still wear aprons, they come in handy when you want to read a book. They're in the back, grab yourself one and just go through the isles, make sure the books are all in the right spot."

I nod my head and say thank you, before rushing to the back room. I check to see if they go by specific sizes, before settling on a small black one, tying it around my waist. I walk back out and to the isles of the non-fiction section, and I start with the A's.

Most of them are in the correct spot, but there's a few that are not, and I sigh when I see a W in the B section. Do people not care about order anymore? How can you look at the red B above the books, and see the W on the on that is in your hand and think "seems right."

After a few hours of moving books and making comments in my head, Miss. Rose comes over.

"How's it going so far?" she asks.

"Good! There's only a few every section that are out of place," I respond truthfully.

She nods and tells me to take a break and grab a snack.

When I walk towards the bakery, I notice Harry isn't behind the counter, and I wonder if he's already left for the night. An older gentleman comes up and asks if he can help. After telling him my order, I walk to my usual spot and set my food down before finding Miss. Rose.

"Do you have a schedule for me?" I ask.

She looks at the computer before telling me I will alternate between Wednesday through Saturday and Thursday through Saturday.

I say thank you before going back to my spot, only to find Harry sitting there, eating my cookies.

"Harry!" I pout.

He looks at me with wide eyes, "I was hoping you would have a longer conversation with Rose so I could finish them."

"I was gone for - you go get me two more cookies," I point towards the bakery.

He laughs as he makes his way towards the bakery. I sit down and begin to write in my work days into my planner. I have to rearrange some things, like days I have to shop for the small, secret fridge Lili and I keep in the dorm.

"Two, uneaten cookies," Harry says as he hands me them.

"Thank you," I smile.

He sits down on the floor, looking through the book pile that I made from my last visit. I'm assuming he's looking for Romeo and Juliet. I still find it odd that he has not read it. It was requirement at my school, maybe he was home schooled?

"Why were you the one to call me about the job?" I ask after a few minutes.

The page of my journal has turned into a cloud of lyrics and doodles.

"I'm the one who goes through all applications for the bakery. Yours was in the pile, it should have been in the library pile but there's rarely any applications. Anyway, when I went to Miss. Rose about it she told me to call you and tell you that she wanted you," he explains.

"How come no one applies for the library?"

He shrugs, "Everyone in this town is worried about the bigger things."

"And the bakery?"

"It's not much more," he says softly.

I don't say anything else and I decide to continue to write lyrics in my journal. They spill upon the page and I am making dots to represent the beat. To some, it will look like a whole bunch of junk, but it's so much more deeper once you look closely.

Eventually I get back up and make a few rounds through the sections, I make sure they are all in order before moving to the next.

An hour goes by when Harry mumbles, "Oh, fuck."

I look at him, "Is everything alright?"

"I forgot about the party tonight, I have to go. Are you coming?" he asks as he stands up and puts the book back on the pile.

"I don't know when I am allowed to leave."

"It's ten now, Rose won't have you close on your first night," he walks away for a minute while I begin to pack my things.

"Let's go," he says when he gets back.

I grab my keys and walk out the door with him, he stops me, "Ride with me?"

"What if I want to leave before you? The frat house is far from my dorm," I say.

"There's spare rooms, you can sleep in mine and I'll find one."

"What about my car, will I get a ticket if I leave it here?"

He laughs, "It will be fine, here's my keys, I will be back, I forgot my bag in the store."

I find his sleek black Range Rover, after hitting the unlock button multiple times, and I drool over it as I start it. I turn my seat warmer on as I wait for him to get back.

When he gets back he puts his bag in the back and gets into the drivers seat and starts to head to the frat house.

"Do you know if Lili will be here? Or Cole?" I ask him as we turn onto the road, you can hear the music all the way down the street.

"I know Cole will be here for sure, but I haven't heard anything on Lili," he says as he parks the car.

I nod my head and take in a deep breath, as I prepare myself, again, for the party.