eighteen

I lock eyes with the emerald ones staring back at me. His brows are furrowed together, confusion and anger is written across his face. I can't seem to figure out the reason why, and I can feel my cheeks heating up. I close my wide eyes as I wipe my hands across my dress.

The music begins to play, and I prepare myself to sing to a whole crowd of drunk people, Colton and now, Harry. It's like my worst fear coming to life, but all the while, I'm not scared, because when I open my eyes Harry is still looking at me, and I feel safe. I feel like this is what I am meant to be doing.

I look at him throughout the song, completely forgetting about Colton, and all the other people in the room and getting lost in the music. It's like it's just Harry and I, for whatever reason.

At the end of the song I look around, and everyone claps. I place my hands on my cheeks as I walk off and slightly run to Colton.

"You were amazing!" he smiles brightly at me.

"I have never done that before! I was so scared but I just did it!" I gush.

My adrenaline is high and I can feel my heart pounding in my chest.

"You never told me that you could sing and then you just get up there and own the stage? What other secret talents do you have hidden?" he shakes his head, laughing.

Before I can explain to him why I don't tell anyone, I feel a hand on my back. I turn my head and look over, I see an arm full of tattoos, and looking up, I see Harry frowning at Colton, before looking at me.

"Hi, Harry," I say awkwardly.

He smiles at me, "I wanted to find you to tell you that I was blown away by your voice. It sounded even more beautiful than in the bakery."

Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Colton tilt his head. It dawns on me, he never knew that Harry works at the bakery, the same job he took over.

"You've been to Horizon's?" he asks, confused.

I don't blame him, when you don't know Harry, you don't see him to be working somewhere like Horizon's. But, when you know him the way I do, it makes sense. It makes sense for me to find Harry there, it makes sense for Harry to be there. Harry is meant to be there.

"I work there, with Ari," he says.

His hand is still placed on my back, and I feel his thumb moving against it, almost reassuringly.

"Really? How come you're never there?" Colton pushes.

Harry's hand grips my waist, "I needed time away to handle some things."

Colton nods his head understandingly, "You guys met there then, I assume?"

I nod, "Harry was actually the one who called me to tell me I got the job. I met him at a frat party, but we hung out a little and read books at the store. I didn't tell him about me applying, he found it in the stack."

We all stood there awkwardly and silently. Eventually, Colton's eyes trail to my waist and see Harry's hand. Hurt flashes across his face before he sighs.

"I guess I'll leave you guys to it, I have an early day tomorrow," he places money on the bar.

"What? I can go with you back to campus," I begin to say.

"No, it's okay. You guys stay here, you sing some more Ariana. I'll see you at work," he looks at my waist one more time before giving me a smile and walking out the door.

"What was that all about?" Harry asks.

I grip his hand, "I think it was because you had your hand around me like I was your girlfriend."