Fateful Day

<-Gale's POV--<<

Cancer? Jeez. No. Annie doesn't have cancer. Annie Cresta doesn't get cancer. Well, I guess today we will know for sure. I call up Jo.

Gale: Jo! Need a ride to the hospital?

Jo: Gale! Of course I do. I need one. Badly.

Gale: Give me ten minutes and a crowbar.

Jo: Gale shut up.

Gale: See ya soon sweetie!

Jo hung up. I got my keys, and drove to Jo's place. Her house was near a forest, and there were lots of trees. Fitting, she lives in District 7. They divided up the areas of Panem into Districts. I live in District 12, along with Peeta and Katniss. So it was a bit of a drive to get to Johanna's house. I finally got there, parked, got out, and knocked on the door.

"Hey Jo. Ready for Annie?" I ask when she opens the door. She nods, and walks to my car. We drive in silence all the way to the Capital. The Capital is the capital of Panem. Most hospitals are there, and Annie was in one of those hospitals.

We arrive, and I open the door for Jo. I hug her and say, "Johanna Aspen Mason. If Annie has cancer, promise me that we will both stay strong for our sister and help her through it."

Johanna looks into my eyes. "I will. I promise," she says. We hold each other's  hands and walk in.

~5 Minutes Later~

We reach Annie's room. Finnick, Peeta, Katniss, and some others are already here. Annie is in the bed sleeping. She looks like a little broken child. She is vulnerable, and people could hurt her. She has an oxygen tank next to her.

Doctor Four steps in. "Hello! Annie, it is time for your scan. You can have one person in here with you. Who would you like that to be?" Doctor Four asks.

Annie points to Finnick, and wraps her arms around his neck. "May I ask the rest of y'all to step into the hallway?" Doctor Four asks.

We all nod and step out. No one speaks, we are all too anxious. After what seems like forever, we are let back in. Whatever the test was, I can tell Annie didn't like it. "We will be back with your results shortly," Doctor Four said.

~Doctor Four is Back~

"Annie. I am so sorry to tell you. You have thyroid cancer in your lungs. It could get better or worse. There is a 50/50 chance of your survival," Doctor Four said.

Finnick bursts into tears. So does everyone else. Johanna Aspen Mason doesn't cry. Katniss Marie Everdeen doesn't cry. Peeta Matthew Mellark doesn't cry. Finnick Caspian Odair certainly doesn't cry. Even I, Gale Marcus Hawthorne doesn't cry. But all of us are.

After our cry fest, Doctor Four turns to us. "Annie will need an oxygen tank, and might need chemotherapy. Only time will tell," Doctor Four says.

"Isn't Four a character from Divergent? And his real name is Tobias Eaton?" asks Kat.

Doctor Four backed out of the room and ran. "Okay. This hospital is really crazy and messed up. Putting that on record," Jo said. It was obvious she was trying to lighten the mood.

Johanna and I drove to her place in silence. "Annie is a fighter. She always will be. Stay fighting?" I say.

"Stay fighting, my lovely idiot."