Chapter 5

Beau and I had managed to make it through the rest of the week with minimal touching at work. Many times I was moments away from giving in. I pondered where I had even gained that kind of restraint from as I sat at the bar table. It was a lovely Friday evening and everyone was out. I don't even know why I came out, it had only been thirty minutes and I had already been stepped on, bumped into, and had drinks spilled all over me. Also, Annabelle had left me to dance with her boyfriend. So I was the third wheel again. I wish I had invited Beau. I mean the logical part of me knew that wasn't a good idea considering what always happened between us when alcohol was involved, even in my sobriety I could barely resist him. Huh, Sobriety, I scoffed to myself at the irony while I sipped a vodka cranberry. I suddenly didn't feel like being out anymore. I finished my drink & waved a goodbye to Annabelle and she threw me a pouty face but waved back. I slipped out the front door trying to make a beeline for my car, considering how dark it was and how far away I had parked.
"Leaving already?" A voice said from behind me. I stopped, certain it was Beau. My heart did a little flip. I turned to see it wasn't Beau but another man, very handsome man. He had dark hair and dark brown eyes, his hair was pulled back into a messy bun. I'd never been a fan of man buns but it definitely looked good on him.
"What's it to you?" I said, crossing my arms over my chest, a smile playing at my lips. He shrugged.
"I saw you come in, I would've asked you to have a drink with me but you look kind of mean." He said smirking. I laughed.
"If I look so mean why are you talking to me now?"
"I like 'em mean." He smirked, "You look like you want to leave so I won't keep you, how about you give me your number though?" He said, his eyes shining. I chuckled but nodded in agreement, he handed me his phone and I typed my name and number into his contacts then handing it back to him. "This better not be a fake number."

"I guess you'll have to call later and see." I said with a wink. He slipped on his leather jacket and walked over to a parked motorcycle. Looking over me upon boarding he replied,

"My names Charlie, by the way." And with that he took off on his motorcycle that was louder than the music from inside the bar. Okay, the motorcycle was definitely an attractive addition to his already dangerously sexy persona. I smiled to myself, this just might be the distraction I needed from Beau.

It had been all weekend and Charlie still hadn't called or messaged me, I was getting antsy. The only text I had received was from my mother who made dinner plans for us that were impossible to get out of. So here I was on a late Sunday afternoon prepping myself to deal with my mother.

I decided on wearing a nude sundress and nude heels, I applied a light amount of make up and curled my hair into perfect ringlets. I kept watch at the window because lord knows I'd hate to keep mother waiting. I quickly tossed my keys and phone into a small clutch. I heard a car pull up and rushed to the door almost twisting my ankle in the process. There was a white extravagant town car parked outside, I rolled my eyes, typical. I made my way to the car as the driver jumped out and opened my door for me I muttered a thanks, embarrassed by the whole situation. My mother sat in the seat across from me, her exterior hard and judging.

"How is the new job?" She said, sipping a martini. "It's great." I said trying to be polite.

"I hope you haven't... been with anybody there yet." I inhaled sharply, of course she'd bring that up.

"No mother." I lied.

"Oh honey sit up straight, you're breasts will thank you for it later." She said, finishing off her martini.

"Thanks for the tip." I said through gritted teeth. She always to pick at something about me every time I saw her. I honestly couldn't stand this woman, she infuriated me.