Chapter 2

Part 2; Chapter 2

In hindsight, it probably wasn't the best decision to work out after a few drinks. Not one of my proudest moments, but after leaving my infuriating conversation with Charlie, I raided the mini fridge in my room for more liquor. At least now I knew that the hotel bar was definitely off limits.
After pounding a few back and angrily changing into sweats and decided that exercise would be the best way to work out my aggression. That's where I fucked up. Never lift dumbbells under the influence, because the result is a possible broken toe.
When I moved to Portland I took up a few kick-boxing classes to work on my anger and strength-training. I didn't want to be weak anymore, mentally nor physically. After finishing a bunch of classes and quickly gaining muscle, I joined a gym to stay fit and had considered myself a professional gym rat until this incident.

"Fuck me." I moaned under vodka breath. I was hunched over trying my best to walk it off. "Breathe. Breathe." I said out loud, in the process of trying to walk I managed to hit the same foot on an elliptical machine. "Motherfuc-" I bite my fist to keep from screaming.

"Holy shit." A voice echoed behind me. I turned quickly and admittedly ungracefully to see where to voice came from. I probably looked like an angry tomato.
I locked eyes with a pair of large blue orbs. Similar to mine. I looked her up and down, she was absolutely gorgeous, it almost intimidated me, but then she gave me a warm smile. I tried to return it, but it was really more of a grimace from trying to hold back tears.

"Are you okay? You should really work out with shoes on." She said, looking concerned. Was I not wearing shoes? I looked down, to see that I infact did not have any shoes on. What the fuck summer?

"Yes. That is very good advice." I replied, sitting down to inspect my toe. She laughed.

"Probably shouldn't drink and work out either..." she sat down beside me and checked out my foot.

"Ehh, guidelines." I waved a joking hand. She chuckled.

"I'm Lucy." She said, extending her hand out for me to shake. Perfectly manicured. What I wouldn't give for a mani-pedi right now.

"Summer." I smile.

Lucy ended up working out with me, commenting quite frequently how impressed she was that I can even work out while sloshed. Of course we inspected my foot first. We conversed about where we're from, (she's visiting from Miami to see her boyfriend who lives here) and how long we're both staying. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to talk with her. I made a mental note to make more work out buddies when I got back to Portland. By the time we finish it's about 12:30am.

"So listen, I don't know if this is protocol since we've only just met, but I'm having a little party at my boyfriends house while I'm in town. It's sick, huge rooftop place, pool and everything. I'd love to see you there." She smiled.

"Sounds great, when is it?" I ask, taking deep breaths and checking my pulse.

"Friday night, 8pm." She says wrapping her sweat towel around her neck and hands me her phone. I put my name and number in. "Thanks," She replied, taking her phone back and placing it into her gym bag, "I'll text you the address."

"Alright. I'll see you Friday." I smile and wave as she leaves the gym. I stretch my limbs out and realize I'm not drunk anymore, if anything only slightly buzzed. Perfect time to shower and get some rest because seeing my mother tomorrow will be hell.

BEAU-

I breathed hard through my nose trying to mediate my heart rate down. I grunted and stood upright. My abdomen flared where I had just taken a punch. The man in front of me had a lanky build, with broad shoulders and a crooked nose; probably from getting hit in the face one too many times. I landed one blow to his cheek, then another into his stomach. He doubled over and coughed up blood. I took the opportunity to slam an elbow into his back causing him to topple over. The men surrounding the ring roared in excitement. Then they began to count back from ten. 10... he was sprawled flat across the scuffed floor. 7... still no movement. 3... He stirred a bit and tried to sit up but slouched face first back into the floor. 1! They yelled in amusement. I knew most of them had placed bets on me winning. I raised my arms in accomplishment, but winced when I felt a sting in my side. He must've broken a rib or two. It hurt in the best way possible. I shuffled out of the makeshift ring as my opponent's entourage climbed in to wake him up. I walked past all the excitement and back to the locker rooms. When I was finally alone I let out a sigh of relief, stripped off my clothes and flipped one of the locker showerheads on. There were no stalls due to the age of the building. It used to be a high school gym, but we bought out the rundown building and transformed it into an underground fighting ring. A fight club if you will. I felt my muscles relax under the warm water. Steam began to fill the shower. I watched as blood slowly washed down the drain, unsure if it was his or mine.