Sad-Happy Song

You did it.
You laughed when you felt like crying,
You smiled when you were hotter in anger than a sun in summer.
You kissed when you felt like hitting,
And kicking,
And screaming...

You did it.
You pretended not to care when you truly did, and you did well in hiding the true emotion.
You cared too much, but never let on and this was your greatest intention.
You cared when you didn't want to,
Hugged pieces back into places where they didn't fit, just to make someone else feel whole.
While you fell victim to a chasm breaking your skeleton into a puzzle with missing pieces now belonging to everyone else, but you.

You did it.
You held in outcries and testimonies,
Just so everyone else could enjoy the peace and quiet of your silence.
You sat by yourself and twiddled your thumbs to keep yourself looking occupied.
When truly you were bored out of your mind.

You did it.
And maybe, after all this time, everything was actually so obnoxiously obvious.
Maybe you were no good at hiding everything you were feeling and wanting to say,
Maybe your heart was too in it, too much an open book.
Maybe your handy work with glue and the intense pressure of willing everything to work out, was more out loud than you had intended for it to be.

I'd be lying if I said we haven't all been there,
Staring into the face of another challenge and trying our absolute best to take it like a champ; silent and as stone-faced as at all possible.

We'd all be liars if we told ourselves we've made it out with all of our pieces and limbs and hopes and dreams after every storm.
And that we haven't cried to a perfectly-satisfying-sunshiny-day kind of song because they remind us of times when everything was whole.

We all have our sad-happy song.
The one we can't help but turn up as it comes on, only to pull over on the side of the road with our face drowning in the tears of a memory as we reach the easy chorus.

You are my sad-happy song.
You wake me up in the sunshine...
And we fall asleep in the rain.