Sunlight and Rain

A little sullen silence dipped its toes in you,
You were wearing my favorite colors, somber, clouded eyes of grey.
Which was a tragically contradictory compliment to your yellow tie.
In fact, you were encased in the skies. The kinds of skies that promise you snow.
No evil and bombastic thunder, no passionately frightening lighting, just sadness in its fragility and delicacy.
For you—a piece of my everything—to be so dismal in such an unfixable way, defeated me.
Someone who I can make smile with very little discipline and industry, suddenly so troubled.
Someone who laughs at every of my intolerable quips, suddenly so silent.
Someone so exultant and someone so mighty...someone resembling your tie that morning in every way more so than your suit coat, suddenly visibly miserable in heart.
You wore a piece of sunshine to undermine the doldrums of it all, I hugged you tighter to add to its feeble warmth.
As your stand-in, this is my responsibility to you. This is my promise.
I will be your sunshine when your skies are grey. I will be the warmth when your heart is cold.
I will hug you tighter when you don't want a hug.
And I will make you laugh no matter how much you might refuse to want to.

My favorite colors are grey and yellow for a logical, rather emotional, reason.

Today I am sunlight.
Tomorrow I am rain.
You can't know happiness
without a little pain.

I will be your sunlight.
I will hold your rain.
Today and tomorrow—
And through each and every pain.

I love you, Dad💛