Chapter Twenty-nine

"Ok, let's get a move on. Let's go, let's go." Leland says rushing everyone out of the cabins and into the van.

"We're all moving, just take a chill pill. It's four in the morning." Julia says walking down to the van. Leland glares over at her and waits for everyone else. As Austin passes him he grabs his arm and pulls him over away from the two vehicles.

"About yesterday, I'm sorry. It...it reminded me of something that had happened and she is my little sister, and...I just don't want her to go through something like that again. And I know you wouldn't, it's just...when I-" Austin nods his head.

"I get it, Taylor told me about it, but I'm nothing like that person. I won't push her into anything she doesn't want to do, you have my word." He says and Leland nods his head. The two shake hands before walking back to the van.

"Ok, we all in?" Leland asks hoping into the front seat. Layla nods her head and he starts the car.

"Ok, ready for the longest ride of all." He says and hears some mumbled complaints. "Oh come on, it's going to be fun." He says and Layla looks over at him and laughs.

"Yeah, ok. You have fun driving, I'm gonna go to sleep." She says and begins to get comfortable.

"Carson, Julia, you'll switch with Jack and Analyze after 20 hours, while Taylor and Austin will switch with us." He says. Carson nods his head and then closes his eyes. Julia's already asleep leaning on him.

"So, you two gonna stay up with me?" He asks looking in the rearview mirror at Taylor and Austin.

"Not gonna happen," Austin says and Taylor shakes her head already curling up against Austin.

***

"You'd better find a gas station soon," Layla says practice doing the pee-pee dance in her seat.

"Not my fault we are on a highway with no exits," Leland says looking at the GPS.

"Well, if we aren't at a gas station or a house in like five minutes you need to pull over and let me pee." She says looking around to find there is nothing around them.

"There's a house," Taylor says seeing one on the left. Leland pulls into their driveway and hops out. Everyone watches as he and her run up to the house. Well, Layla waddles up to the house. They watch as an old man opens the door and then Layla runs into the house.

After a few minutes to two walk out and Layla's laughing. When they get into the car they all look up at her. "He told us that one time when he was on a trip he'd crapped his pants because his Mom told him he could hold it." She says still laughing about it.

"You're so lucky he let you in," Leland says starting the car back up.

"Jack says there's a gas station about two miles up, he wants to get food," Carson says looking up from his phone.

"Sure, in two miles there's one," Layla says shaking her head. Leland chuckles and begins to pull out of the driveway. Following Jack and Analyze. They hear the ringing of a phone and look around.

"That's yours, Taylor." Leland says recognizing the ringtone. She grabs her phone out of her shoe and answers it.

"Hello?" She asks feeling stupid that she didn't read the caller ID.

"You picked up for the phone. That's a first." She hears her Dad say and then hears her Mom's muffled voice.

"Hi, Dad. Why'd you call?" She asks laying her head against Austin's shoulder.

"We wanted to see how you guys were doing. You guys on your way home yet?" He asks with a yawn.

"What time is it over there?" She asks worried that they got up really early just to talk to her.