Chapter Thirty-one

"It's been two weeks." Austin says looking at everyone else. Jack, Analyze, Chloe who showed up a week ago, Carson, Julia, and Layla. They are all banged up pretty well, but all are going to be discharged in two days or less.

"You have to give them time. Their bodies went through a lot." Chloe says and he shakes his head.

"They haven't improved at all, they are both still on machines," Layla says with tears in her eyes. They are all quiet in the patient room with many other's who don't like to be stuck in there rooms.

They sit there until Layla parents come rushing in. "They think Taylor's waking up, Austin you're allowed to come in as well."

Austin stands up and rushes past them knowing where her room is. He enters and sees a nurse by her bed. She blinks a few times and then starts moving her arms. "I didn't do it. I didn't mean it." She yells trashing around. The nurse tries to get her attention, but she keeps fighting saying she didn't do it. The nurse has to sedate her before she hurts herself.

"What...what was that?" Austin asks looking up at the nurse.

"It happens when someone has a head trauma or surgery when they first wake up they see something that scares them or relive what happened." She says and looks to her parents. "It happens a lot, don't worry."

"She moved, does that mean she isn't paralyzed?" Austin asks looking down at her.

"I really couldn't tell you, it could me that and I have high hopes for her." She says and then something starts beeping. She looks up at Taylor's monitor.

"Code blue." She yells and pulls the pillows from her head and then starts to do compressions.

Taylor's parents start asking questions.

"Nurse, get them out of here." The doctor says. Her parents are pushed out and Austin sits there in the back watching as they try to get her heart rate back. "Clear." He hears this four times and then the beeping stops. "There you go Taylor, keep fighting." The doctor says looking down at her. He glances at Austin and smiles. "She's trying." He says, Austin nods his head and moves closer to her.

He grabs her fragile hand and holds it tight. "Keep fighting, I know it's hard, but you can't leave me now." He says and kisses her hand.

The group watches from outside the window and they try to calm her parents down. "She's fighting." The doctor says to all of them. Before he can get very far there's beeping again. This time it's Leland.

They all watch as they rush towards him and start doing compressions. There are too many people that come into the room for anyone to see anything, but Austin sees Leland. He's trashing and has blood coming out of his mouth. He turns his head back to Taylor, he looks up and sees her heart rate has risen. "He's going to be fine, they're helping him now." He says to her. Her heart rate slows, not by much, but he hopes that she can hear him.

He looks back over and sees they've all stopped working on him. "You can't give up, then she will." He yells at them. They all turn to him and the doctor holds his gaze. "She won't fight anymore." He says as tears run down his face. The doctor looks at the time and turns to the nurse.

"Sir, he has a heart rate." A nurse says. The doctor looks up at the screen.

"I'll be damned," He then says a ton of words that Austin can't understand. When they leave him Layla rushes in. He sees her face red from tears and she starts talking to him. He can't hear what she's saying but hopes it's helping him.

She glances up at Austin and they hold each other's gaze. "You keep her alive, I can't lose her and the love of my life." She says in a raspy voice. Austin nods his head and turns back to Taylor.