Chapter 1:Shadow

India (age 16)

I lay awake In the bed that I also share with my brother and my mom.Every since my dad left us in his shadow things have changed.Sometimes we go to sleep hungry or without taking baths.If I wasn't pretty I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have any friends or at least real friends.

I help my mom with the rent by working three jobs.I'm fine with it I guess you gotta get it how you live.

"Get up mom you got to go to work" I said shaking my mom.She got up slowly and went into the bathroom.I woke my brother up and got him ready for school.I set out his clothes and walked into the kitchen.I fix him the last bowl of cereal and I just make my self a sandwich.

I wasn't going to school today because I had to work a double shift at Nico's sub shop."come on Leon"I said taking his hand and leading him out the door.We started walking down the street."India why aren't we like the other kids" Leon said with a frown."Leon things can only get better from here "I said squeezing his hand tighter.

After I dropped Leon off I started walking to work.I looked as I saw a girl and her dad sitting at a table in Nico's smiling and laughing.I wish I could remember what my dad was like.Sometimes I day dream about how our family can be so much better but then again he was the one who left us and let us end up like this.

"Good morning Kate" I said while checking in."Good morning India so how is your day going so far"she said with her beautiful country accent."Same as anytime I have to work a double" I replied.I hate going to school I get talked about bullied and made fun of.Oh how I love the days when I have to work doubles just to get away from the bitches who mess with me.

After about 9 hours of working I had to go and get my brother.I walked into Leons school and went to the basketball court.Sure enough he was there playing with his friends.Leon loved basketball he was like a mini Lebron ,"come on Leon we got to go"I yelled out to him.He ran to go get his back pack than towards me."India I made 4 three pointers in a row" he said as we were walking out."That's a new record"I said giving him a high five.

I unlocked the door to our Apartment."Mom your home early"I said coming in and shutting the door."I have news for you and leon"My mom said last time she had news for us we was when we had to move."What is it"Leon asked.

"Well I got a new boyfriend he's the CEO of of his clothing company and said we could move in with him and his daughter in his condo.So you guys go start to pack your things"

Me and Leon walked to the closet.I didn't have much but a book bag full of clothes."I'm done India"Leon called out."Me to kid "I replied.I heard a car horn and me and Leon both ran to the window."Come on guys we leaving right now"My mom called."I didn't get a chance to say good bye to Kate"I yelled."you have her number now come on "my Mom said dragging me out the house.Leon was already in the car and now it was my turn.I slowly got in the Aston martin looking back at my now old home."good bye Kate* I whispered leaning against the window.