Chapter 30

🎶If love is a crime - 2face🎶

Bob's POV
I rested on the white wall beside the door staring at her pale face and dry lips as she sleeps innocently.

I failed

I failed

What is the essence of being a bodyguard when I couldn't even protect the people I love?

Williams was shot, Mariana was assaulted, the baby is dead, Ruth is in the cell and am here standing like the freak I've always been.

I looked at her in shame before fixing my gaze back to the ground.

I had signed the papers, the operation was performed and the baby has been removed.

"Bob" I heard her call faintly.

I looked up and went to sit beside her bed before holding her hand. She had just woken up after the operation last night.

"Are you feeling okay now?" I asked in a low tone.

"Yes, but what about my baby? My baby was not hurt right? My womb was not damaged right? I can go back in peace right? Bob please answer, why can't i feel my baby moving again? Why can't I feel anything in my womb" she cried as tears streamed down her face but I couldn't even mutter a word.

What can I say?

I closed my eye tight and buried my face with her palm to shield the forming tears from falling.

"Mariana, it.. it is okay" I nodded and looked at her but deep down inside I knew it wasn't

"Bob please answer me"

"It... The baby...your....our baby is gone... The doctor-"

"Just stop right there, stop lying.....my baby is still alive....I can't loose my baby....I know it is still alive.... Just tell me it is sleeping.. Tell me my baby will soon wake up. BOB TELL ME MY BABY IS STILL ALIVE!!!" she shouted before busting out in tears pathetically.

I lifted her up to sit before pulling her into my arms as she cried loudly while holding tight to my shirt as her tears spread across my shirt.

"I can't believe it... Bob tell me it is a nightmare..... Bob.... (sobs)....tell me this is not real.... Tell me you were only joking" she sobbed harder but all I could do was to pat her back.

"Mariana, it is going to be okay... I promise" I said as I bit my lip.

"No it can't. My baby is dead...I couldn't protect My...my child from that monster.....My only blood is dead"she sobbed.

"We can make another one" I said without thinking. She pulled away and stared at me in suprise.

This is such a terrible thing to say to a mother who just lost her child.

"What did you just say?"

"I mean your womb can still accommodate another child so we can make another baby within wedlock"

"Wedlock?? Bob are you serious with this?"

"Am seriously serious honey" I replied and dried her tears with my hand.

"Bob... How??" She asked and I knew what she meant.

"I will do everything to be with you even if it means quiting my job" I reassured her and I could see the confusion in her face.

"You will quit your job for me?" She asked and I nodded positively.

"Yeah I will, i would use my certificate to get a job" I said.