[3]

"Come on mum and dad! Let's go home quickly so I can read all the books I got." (Y/N) pulled her parents arms, her lips etched with an excited smile, her (E/C) shining with happiness as she giggled and pulled her parents along.

Her parents chuckled and walked a bit faster. "Alrighty Princess." Denji chuckled. Glancing at his wife, he asked, "why don't we take the shortcut honey? We'll be home faster." Just as they stopped by a dark alley. They could've walked all the way around but seeing their excited and impatient daughter made Mia agree. It was only a five minute walk in there, if they walked the whole way they would arrive at home twenty minutes later.

"I don't know honey, I mean it looks dangerous." Kimi said skeptically as she stared at the eerie alley. That place was giving her the bad vibes.

"Come on mummy. Please?" (Y/N) begged, giving her the puppy dogs eyes.

With such an adorable face, Kimi couldn't resist. "Okay, but stay close."

(Y/N) skipped ahead of her parents, her bag of new books at hand. While she pictured herself cozy by her window sill reading, she didn't notice the red glowing eyes in the dark . . . Not before it was too late.

Everything happened so fast, the next thing she knew the agonizing scream of her parents filled her ears.

One of them grabbed her. His eyes wild.

"Such pretty face. Such pretty face." He kept muttering, drool sliding down the corner of his thin dry lips as he grabbed her.

(Y/N) was frozen in place. She heard nothing but the sound of her beating heart. She flickered her gaze over to her parents and her heart shattered into a million peices.

"Mum! Dad!" She screamed, struggling against the ghouls grip as she watched her parents scream in pain as the two other ghouls rippped their limbs. Blood was flying everywhere.

"Just eat her Eric, always playing with food." One of the other ghouls scowled, ripping Denji's arm off. The sickening sound of chewing filled (Y/N) ears along with the screams of her parents.

"Stop it!! No! Leave them alone!! Mommy!! Daddy!" She screamed as loud as she could. Tears were flowing like rain from her wide (E/C).

"Now pretty girl. Watch." The ghoul holding her down forced her to face her parents and opened her eyes with his sharp fingers. He laughed hysterically, almost as if he were proud of what he was doing.

"Daddy!! No! Stop! No! Please! Stooooooop!!!"

"Damn it (Y/N) wake up!" A loud familiar voice shouted. (Y/N) gasped and opened her eyes. Snapped out of the terrible nightmare.

Her blurry eyes focused on a familiar pair of blue eyes that she found soothing to look into.

"A-Ayato-kun." She whimpered, her eyes blurry with tears as she immediately embraced him. He didn't shove her off or do anything to show discomfort. He hesitantly hugged her back as she sobbed. He leaned his head on her soft hair, listening to her sob quietly in his arms.

He could feel the dampness of his shirt from where her tears were falling, but right now he didn't care about such petty things. He almost scoffed at himself. Comforting a human like this. Then again, it was because of his kind that she lost her parents, was he really gonna blame such an innocent girl for the actions of someone else?

He patted her back awkwardly, not used to comforting anyone, or being a shoulder to cry on. He had stopped by her door on his way to bed and wanted to check up on her. When he came in he found her in distress, sweat beading her forehead and her sheets tossed on the floor. She was whimpering and crying. She kept saying, "mom, dad, no," repeatedly. He panicked and woke her up immediately.

After a while she stopped crying. His gaze flickered down to the girl and his eyes softened when he saw her asleep in his arms. She was still hiccuping but at least her crying had seized. Her lips were tilted up ever so slightly. He smiled, she looked more peaceful and almost angelic when she was asleep.

He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, am I going soft? She's just a human . . . Nothing but a pathetic weak human. . . Yet why did his smile show the exact opposite of that?

He sat up at the edge of her bed and gently placed her back down. He stared at her sleeping frame for a second before shaking his head, his jaw clenched. She's just a human you idiot, don't get fooled. He got up and was about to walk away when something stopped him.

His eyes widened slightly as he felt a part of his shirt tugged. He looked back and saw that her small hand had the hem of his shirt clutched into a firm grip.

He sighed and gently uncurled her curled finger from the hem of his shirt. As he was about to turn again, she grabbed his wrist loosely.

He turned, now clearly annoyed, "wha--"

"Stay." She stared up at him with her half closed twinkling (E/C), her messy (H/C) hair covering parts of her left eye. He didn't reply, just stared at her with his head tilted.

"Please." She begged gently, her voice lower than a murmur.

He said nothing as he climbed into her small bed and slept next to her. She never released her grip on his wrist as she had curled up next to him, placing her head against his arm.

Soon the only sound in the small quiet room was the sound of her slow breathing and Ayato's pacing heart.

He stared up at the blank ceiling for a while, then he turned to her. Her messy hair was swept over her close eyes, her thick curled feather-like eyelashes still wet with tears and yet, a small smile playing at her lips.

His lips were pursed. "You're a human. Nothing but a pathetic human." He whispered, almost as if he were trying to convince himself.