[23]

(Y/N) knew something was off the minute she saw the close sign from the bottom of the stairs. She had just come back from training with Renji and upon seeing the sign, she was alarmed. She quickly ran up and took out her sword from her bag.

The shop didn't close until late afternoon and she was sure it was only a few minutes past four now, Touka would never close shop until at least six pm. When she heard a scream from inside that was all it took.

She stepped back and with one fluid kick, the door flew open.

The first thing she saw was Touka on the floor, her arms and legs were cut and blood flowed down her chin from her mouth. The next was Kaneki covered in blood. He was on the floor reaching for Touka even thought they were away from each other. Then she instantly saw the huge broad shouldered men in a white suit who turned to her with a sickening look in his eyes.

“Damn, that kick was strong for a small girl like you.” A guy wearing heavy makeup pouted with pink painted lips.

(Y/N) was too busy staring in shock down at Touka and Kaneki to even register what the man had said. Too shocked to even notice Ayato standing in the corner.

Ayato had frozen in place at seeing (Y/N) burst in. He tried to ignore how fast his heart was beating. His blood ran cold and his hand clenched into a tight fist. His jaws set.

'What the hell is this Shrimp doing here? She was supposed to be somewhere safe!'

He almost slapped himself for not double checking.

“(Y/N), no, get out.” Touka chocked out as she struggled to get up, but her weak arms wouldn't  give in and she collapsed.

“Kaneki-kun . . . Touka-chan . . .”

(Y/N) gripped her sword and snarled at the huge men in white, ignoring Touka's warning.

"Aaaahhhhh!." She yelled and ran forward her sword poised in her hand, ready to strike.

Yamori smirked and was ready to crush her when a blur of blue swept past him and grabbed (Y/N), slamming her against the wall. Her sword slipped from her gasp as her small body hit the wall, hard.

It all happened so fast for (Y/N) to register. Her head pounded at the force of being slammed into the wall and she blinked repeatedly to keep the room from spinning.

It was strange when she saw a head full of beautiful tousled blue hair. She was sure Touka was too weak to stand up. She blinked rapidly to focus. When her vision cleared, she gasped and her breath hitched.

“A-Ayato-kun . . .”

It couldn't be. But as she stared into his clear cold blue eyes, she was certain it was. She wanted so desperately to reach out and touch his face, to make sure that this was real, that he really was back, but the look in his eye made her blood run cold.

It wasn't the same. Something was different. Ayato staggered back, his eyes still on hers and a menacing smirk tugged at the corner of his lips.

“Is this the pathetic human pet I've been hearing about?” The men in the white suit asked with little interest as he picked up Kaneki by the neck.

“Wow she's cute, looks tasty as well.” The one in heavy makeup said as he licked his lips, staring at (Y/N) with hungry eyes.

Ayato smirked. “I wouldn't bother; she's as pathetic and weak as the day she was born.” His eyes were cold.

(Y/N) tried not to let his words get to her but it did. Ayato's gaze softened at the hurt look on her face for a second before it returned to its cold and arrogant glimmer.