[8]

Today was the first day of school and (Y/N) was awake before the sun came up. She was a bit nervous about going back to school, seeing all her friends again and of course seeing her best friend Aito again. She hadn't even fully gotten over the death of her beloved parents and going to school and acting as if everything was completely normal, made her feel nauseous.

Alot had happened over the course of three months; her parents died right in front of her, she was saved by someone that looked like an angel at that particular moment and did so now too, she was now living with ghouls at her favourite shop and was training so hard that now she could actually do a back flip and land on her feet while simultaneously throwing daggers. Yeah, that was a lot for just three months.

After a cold shower, she felt a bit relaxed. She knew that tea would immediately sooth her nerves.

She tip toed down to the staff room, not wanting to wake anyone up. She quietly opened the door and slipped in and in that same quiet motion she slowly shut the door.

"School starts at 8:30 am." A voice broke the eerie silenced, scaring (Y/N) in the process.

"Aahh!" She gasped, holding a hand over her chest as she turned to see Touka sipping a cup of tea, standing by the fridge and staring at her with her usual cold stare in her blue eyes, except now it sparkled with amusement.

"Touka-chan. You scared me." (Y/N) breathed, tucking a loose strand of her hair behind her ear.

"Nervous about school?" Touka asked, her eyes observant as she stared down at the younger girl.

(Y/N) chuckled quietly, her fingers playing with the hem of her shirt. "That obvious?"

Touka nodded behind her morning tea. "You woke up four hours before school even started and you're not even changed, meaning you're not excited you're absolutely nervous."

"You know me too well." (Y/N) said with a smile. Touka's lips curled up into a fond smile of her own.

"Why don't you take a seat. I'll make you tea. That'll be sure to sooth your nerves." Touka offered, gesturing to the empty seat.

(Y/N) nodded. "I could really use a tea. Thanks Touka-chan."

Touka passed her a smile as she put the kettle on. "So what are you nervous about anyway? You can just about charm anyone with that adorable smile." Touka teased, trying to lighten the mood as she took out the coffee beans.

(Y/N) smiled faintly and stared down at her open palm. "It's not that . . . I'm just not sure how I can act around my old friends. How am I supposed to act out there, now that I know . . . And lost, so much."

Touka flickered her soft gaze to the younger (H/C) haired girl. She was staring down at her open palm, her loose hair falling around her face as her open palm clenched into a tight fist at the reference of her lost parents.

Touka couldn't see her face but her tone of voice sent a pang to Touka's heart. She couldn't imagine watching her parents get eaten alive right in front her eyes. It was painful enough that she got the news of their deaths, but to witness it? That would tear her apart. But (Y/N) was different, she was brave, kind, joyful, optimistic and pure at heart.

Why did it have to happen to her of all people. Touka thought sadly.

"You act normal. I know that might seem like something hard, impossible and stupid even, to do, but it's the only option. Smile at your friends as if everything's okay. Act until you don't have to act anymore, act until it becomes your reality. You'll see, life has a funny way of knocking us off our feet, but it's up to us to pick ourselves up and keep on fighting to stay up, because once you're at the bottom of the stairs, there's only one way to go." Touka poured the tea into the cup and placed it on  a small plate and brought it over to (Y/N) who was watching her carefully, taking each word and hanging on her every syllable.