[5]

Touka knocked softly, on the door. There was a muffled reply so the young ghoul assumed it was, "Come in," so she walked in.

(Y/N) was, as usual, under her sheets. Touka walked over to her bed and sat by her side. (Y/N) didn't stir.

"(Y/N)." When there was no reply, Touka continued. "I know you heard the . . . Conversation last night . . . Are you scared of me?"

"No." Came a soft reply.

"Good. Don't worry, no one will harm you . . . " there was no movement and Touka sighed. "I-I just wanted to apologize. I was acting on impulse. It's just that, ghouls couldn't live with humans. . . And there's nowhere you could've went so I--I guess I panicked. I'm sorry."

(Y/N) pushed the bed sheet off and sat up and stared up at the older girl. Touka's eyes widened a bit at the maturity of her ten year old stare. "I'm not mad . . . I understand. I'm like walking livestock for you and Ayato. . . My parents . . . They're gone . . . I have no one left. So whether you choose to keep me or not, will both result in what I want. If I die, I can see mommy and daddy. If I'm alive, I can be with you and Ayato and Mr Manager." (Y/N) smiled softly, her eyes shut. It wasn't the same as before, but it was close, and it made Touka's heart tug with sadness.

She pulled the younger girl in her arms and smiled sadly, tears pouring from her pale blue eye's. (Y/N) smiled and hugged her back.

Yoshimira stood by the door, smiling at the scene in front of him.

"Maybe . . . Just maybe we can keep her."

〰♥〰

"There are a few rules I'm gonna lay down for you in order for you to exist in harmony with the other ghouls. Is that okay?" Yoshimura asked, in his stern voice.

(Y/N) smiled brightly, practically skipping in her step as she walked side by side with him down the hallway.

"Okay Mr Manager-san."

"First one, you have to be obedient. There are some ghouls from other wards that come here that are not as peaceful as the ones you'll meet here. If I tell you to go upstairs, you do it without a second thought. Do you understand?"

She nodded. "Yes Mr Manager-san."

"Second rule. Always knock. You never know if you might walk into someone eating. Girls especially don't like that, so please don't forget your manners."

She nodded again, her eyes lighting up as she spotted Ayato down the hallway. His head was hung low as he walked towards them, his long blue hair sweeping over his eyes. He looked up just in time as she spotted him. His eyes widened slightly in panick as she waved, smiling brightly. He quickly dashed into a random room. (Y/N) furrowed her brows in confusion.

"(Y/N)-chan, you see that room right there?" He pointed at a closed door across from them.

She nodded, a bit distracted by Ayato's weird behavior. "Y-yeah?"

"Never under any circumstances go in there. Once you are old enough, maybe you will be allowed. But for now, it's forbidden for you."

(Y/N) nodded, staring at the door for a moment. What could be in there?

"Come on, I'll introduce you to Mr Yomo. You'll be training with him starting tomorrow." Yoshimura informed as he continued walking down, that peaceful smile still etched on his wise wrinkled face.

(Y/N) blinked, turning to Yoshimura who was already ahead of her. "T-training?" She stuttered, running up beside him.

"Mmhmm." He hummed. "You need to know how to defend yourself from all ghouls. Now that you'll be living with us, it's only right you at least know how to look out for yourself."

She looked down at her fiddling hands nervously. "I-Is he a ghoul?" She'd seen the white haired men before, once or twice a month at Anteiku but she never approached him because he gave off an intimidating vibe.

Yoshimura glanced at the small girl that suddenly looked anxious and fidgety. "Yes. He is." He answered, slowing his pace. "But don't worry, Mr Yomo is very tolerable with human blood and would never harm anyone if not necessary for survival. Especially not you."

They stopped by his office door. He turned to the smaller girl and smiled kindly at her. "Are you ready? I need to know now. If not, we can always start whenever you are ready."

(Y/N) thought back to Ayato. The cold hearted boy with a rude mouth that saved her life. He didn't just save her life, he picked up the broken pieces of her life afterwards. If she trained and was strong, she could protect herself, and Ayato wouldn't have to worry about her. She thought about her parents; their beautiful warm smiles and infectious laugher. How her mum would kiss her temple and brush her hair to sleep. How her father would give her piggy back rides when she was too sore to walk and chase her around the playground in a game of tag. She swallowed the lump in her throat and tightened her fist.

All I could do was scream and watch as the life slipped from their eyes . . . Not again. I'm not gonna be as pathetic as that ever again.

"I'm ready."