[4]

For the rest of the week he would visit her to make sure she ate. (Y/N) wasn't sure why he did it. Everytime he came he looked uncomfortable, almost at war with himself, he wouldn't glance at her and he never said a word, save for the insults and orders.

She was used to them. Ever since she was seven she'd come to Anteiku every morning with her parents for a cup of tea and everytime she was greeted with that same irritated scowl on his face.

The whole week either the manager or Touka would visit occasionally to see how she was.

That night she woke up, as usual, covered in sweat and her cheeks wet with tears. She sniffed and wiped her cheek.

"Another nightmare." She whispered, her voice cracking as she blinked to clear her foggy vision that was clouded by tears.

Crying was like a normalcy now and sometimes she wondered if she'd ever run out of tears.

Her bed was warm, the white sheets tossed on the floor. She glanced out the window and saw that the full moon was at its peak. The rich beams of moonlight shone through the glass, lighting her room up in a glowing light blue light. She swung her legs over her bed and rested it on the floor, ignoring the coldness of the floor.

She stumbled out, her head aching. Thanks to the moonlight she could see the door.

As she walked down the hallway, voices filled her ears. They were coming from the staff room. She ignored it and tried to walk down the hallway to the bathroom. But something made her stop dead in her tracks. They were talking about her.

"She's been here long enough!" A loud voice yelled, there was the sound of banging.

(Y/N) stood by the door. She felt guilty for eavesdropping but they were talking about her, so this wasn't necessarily eavesdropping . . . Was it?

She shook her head, as she tried focused on leaning lightly on the door and listening.

"Calm down. I understand how you must feel with a human living with us, but what do you suggest we do? She's already seen our faces, we can't give her to authorities." The deep voice of Yoshimura replied.

"Well then, she must have family members somewhere!" The same voice as before exclaimed. This voice belonged to Touka. (Y/N) wanted to feel betrayed but how could she? Touka was just protecting herself and her smaller brother. With a human in the shop, this must be hard and unnatural for all of them. A lump formed at (y/n)'s throat. She hated the feeling of being a burden to her friend.

"She doesn't. I've checked." A new voice chimes in.

"We're all she's got left." The manager said so softly, (y/n) had to strain her ears to hear

"We're ghouls. I don't mind her living here, but she's a human she's not supposed know about us and she can't live with us, that's too dangerous. It's just not natural." Touka's voice pierced her heart and dawned to her a new realization she was too in mourning to understand.

"What do you want us to do kid? Kill her?" A voice scoffed.

(Y/N)'s heart was beating fast and her eyes were welling up with tears. She heard footsteps walking towards the door and she quickly hid behind the door as it opened.

It shut adruptly and Ayato stared down at her with that normal irked and irritated expression on his face.

"What are you doing here?" He snapped irritably in a low demanding voice.

"I--I--nothing." She stuttered out and sprinted back into her room. She slammed the door shut and jumped under her sheets. She spent the rest of the night contemplating what was going to happen next.

She knew her stay wasn't permanent, she knew they were just waiting for her to recover so they could call someone to come and get her. . . But who? She had no one. How could her life reach such an unpleasant turn.

She hated knowing the fact that she was intruding in their lives right now. She wouldn't mind if she did die . . . At least she could see her parents, hug them, kiss their cheeks and melt under their firm warm embrace.

"Ayato-kun?" She asked softly, the next afternoon as he was taking the empty dishes out.

He stopped by his tracks, halfway out. He titled his head to the side in acknowledgment, his back facing her.

She glanced down at her fiddling fingers nervously as she asked in a low voice, "why did you save me?"

He almost dropped the dishes in his arm, not expecting that question. He quickly turned to her.

"W-what?" He stuttered, looking mildly perplexed.

She pulled her legs against her chest and resting her chin on her knees as she glanced out the window. "You hate humans. And I'm pretty sure I'm nothing but walking live stock in the eyes of ghouls. It's not that I'm unhappy that you saved me. It's just that . . . "

He cocked his head to the side as he stared down at her. "Do you really wanna know why I saved you?"

That question had been bugging him for days. He debated against it being sympathy. If it were any girl apart from (Y/N) he would've walked away without even breaking a sweat. Maybe it was the way she looked at him when he saved her . . . It made him feel . . . Like he wasn't a monster.

She turned to him and met his gaze, nodding.

"Cause as annoying as you are, you're the only human worth saving." He said seriously, his peircing cold blue eyes staring at her intensely.

(Y/N)'s eyes twinkled with shock and a hint of happiness for what seemed to be the first time in ages as she stared up at him in awe, her lips slowly curling up into a soft smile that looked delicate and cute on her pale face.

"A-Ayato-kun . . . "

"I--I have to go." He blurted out before rushing out. (Y/N) watched as he slammed the door behind him as quick as lightning. She blinked, confused.

Ayato panted as he leaned on the door he had just slammed shut. He shut his eyes and wondered why his heart was beating so fast and why he felt so embarrassed. He hated how he didn't know why seeing her in any pain affected him, and why a simple cute smile with those big (E/C) eyes sparkling could make him feel weird and mushy all over. Like his inside were turning into butter in a nice why.

He groaned and pulled at his hair.

"Damn you annoying brat." He growled through gritted teeth. "Damn you for making me feel this way."