Chapter Seventeen: Castorial

You woke up with a start. You had a nightmare last night.. you were wandering around in the same abyss as you were in the dream before that.. but this time the door was farther away. It felt like you were walking for over an hour to get to it. It.. scared you..? You don't really know how you feel. You open your eyes and immediately spot Anti in the chair next to you, sleeping. You've never seen him sleep.. you always thought that he may look peaceful while he sleeps because his guard is down but that's not the case. He has his knife gripped in his hand and his face is scrunched up into a scowl.

His shoulders are tense and he twitches every once in a while. You get up and stretch your arms out in front of you, narrowly missing Anti's tensed figure with your outstretched hand. He jerks his head to the left and groans. You didn't think demons could dream.. or maybe they could? Who knows. He might be having a nightmare. You carefully shake his knee to wake him up. "Anti, Anti wake up." His eyes shoot open and he holds the knife up to your throat, his eyes glow neon green. 

"Whoa. Anti, it's me." Relief floods his expression and he reluctantly removes the knife from your neck. "Were you having a nightmare?" He shakes his head at your question. "No. Demons don't dream.. and because we don't, it's painful to sleep." He stretches his arms like you did a few seconds ago and gets up. "Why is it painful?" You asked. "What is this, twenty questions?" He replied in a mocking tone. "Look, either you tell me or I bug you for hours on end to get you to tell me. Either way, you're going to tell me." He sighs in frustration at your persistence. "It's a painful process to sleep, okay? Our mind is blank and it's dry. Void of any imagination." 

"And why don't you dream?" He sits back down in his chair. "Because we don't have a soul. We were created as an empty shell.. but when we steal a soul from a human being, it makes up somewhat normal.. and we can dream. It only works for a week at most, then the soul's energy is sucked dry and the pain returns." He subconsciously runs his hand through his hair again. "Got anymore question?" You shake your head. "Good. Now lets go. We have a long journey ahead of us." He gets out of his seat again and heads for the door, you follow him.

Tagan is exactly where she was when you were drinking the elixir, seated on the bench near the table. She motions for you and Anti to sit down. Different plates of food sit on each side of the table. A plate of cookies beside Tagan and a plate of (y/f/f) across from her. She herself was eating.. uh? Something.. it looks purple and it's shaped like a small unfrosted cake. She seems to be enjoying it though so that's good.

Anti scowls. "Tagan, we've wasted enough time already." Tagan shakes her head and motions to the food again. Anti sighs and sits beside her while you gratefully start eating the food across from them. After you finish (y/f/f) and Anti finishes his cookies, you get up to leave. Tagan gives Anti a hug while he just stands there awkwardly. She waves you two out the door and shuts it behind you. The sky is still as dark and ominous as you left it. 

Anti starts heading back to where you originally teleported from. "Anti, why don't we just teleport to our destination?" He shakes his head. "Because teleporting to another world like I did last night takes a lot out of you, so I can't." 

Anti moves a tree limb out of the way and proceeds to walk down the lit path. You both walk in silence after this.

                                                                                          . . .

You come to the clearing of where you had first teleported to. It's been about an hour now and you're tired of walking. You sit down on the cold, metal ground and after a few seconds Anti realizes that you're not walking anymore. He turns around and rolls his eyes. "(Y/N). Let's go. We don't have time for this." You fold your arms. "Well excuse me if my human limbs are tired!" He lets out a huff of frustration and walks back to you, pulling you off the ground by your arm. "Hey, let go!" 

Anti's eyes glow green and he slaps you across the face. "(Y/N) I've had enough of this! I've let you backtalk me way too many times and now you think that you can talk to me however you want." He growls and throws you onto the ground. "You want to act like a child? Then I'll treat you like a child, now let's go!" He stomps off into the direction of the castle and leaves you there on the ground. You stare blankly after him and purse your lips.  After a few seconds of watching him you get up and start following. Your face aches now too, congratulations.

You both walk in silence after that. 

                                                                                          . . .

After walking for some time you both come across a bridge. Don't get too excited, it's still metal. The river underneath it glows blue just like the stream next to Tagan's cottage. You walk over to the river and are about to touch it when Anti puts a hand on your shoulder. "I wouldn't do that if I were you, it may look pretty but it's acidic to humans. Unless you want to walk around with no hand, I strongly advise against it." You jerk your hand away from the river and you both start to cross the  bridge.

You both cross with no problem. "Do.. do you hear that?" Anti grabs your arm to stop you. He bends down to the ground and puts his ear to the metal. His eyes widen and he hurriedly stands up. "We have to go now!" You can hear it now too, the metal beneath you starts to rumble and shake. You can hear a distant thumping noise as well. "Anti.. what is that?" You narrow your eyes as his eyes dart around in different direction. "A Castorial."