Chapter 26

"Wake up" I said as I splashed water on Percy
The sun was setting and I figured we were somewhere on the coast of Florida.
"Miami" I said "I think. The hippocampi are acting funny."
"They won't take us any closer. We have to swim to shore"
We gathered what we had left I clipped my belt on and had my gloves on. Percy did the same. Tyson cried as we said goodbye to the hippocampi.
We swam ashore the waves pushed us forward.
We got ashore all of us dripping wet including Percy and Tyson. I hurried to a stand and grabbed a Miami herald.
"Hades!" I cursed "June eighteen"
"That's impossible!" Clarisse said
"Thalia's tree must be almost dead" Grover Whimpered "we need to get back tonight"
"We can't do it we have no money no ride. It's your fault Jackson! Just like the oracle said if you hadn't interfered-"
"Percy's fault?" I demanded was she for real? "Clarisse how could you say that? You're the biggest-"
"Stop it!" Percy yelled
Clarisse put her hands in her head and I stomped my foot.
"Clarisse what did the oracle tell you exactly?" Percy asked
Clarisse took a deep breath and recited the prophecy.
"You shall sail the iron ship with warriors of bone, you shall find what you seek and make it your own, But despair for your life entombed within stone, And fail without friends to fly home alone"
"Ouch" Grover muttered
"No" Percy said "wait a minute I've got it."
Percy dug through his pockets he pulled out a drachma.
"Does anyone have cash?" He asked
I checked. nothing. I shook my head. A few seconds later Grover did the same Clarisse pulled out a wet confederate dollar.
"Cash?" Tyson asked "like...green paper?"
"Yeah" Percy said
"Like the kind in the duffle bag?"
"Yeah, but we lost the bags days a-g-g" Percy muttered as Tyson pulled out a ziplock bag full of cash.
"Tyson?" Percy asked "how did you-"
"I thought it was good for rainbow but only paper inside." Tyson said
Percy hurried to a cab.
"What are you doing?" I asked
He ignored me.
"Clarisse" he yelled "come on you're going to the airport. Annabeth give her the fleece" he said
Percy came over and grabbed the leather jacket that the fleece had transformed into. What was he thinking? He gave it to Clarisse.
"You'd let me?" Clarisse asked
"It's your quest." He said "besides I can't travel by air. Zeus would blast me into a million pieces. Besides the prophecy. You'd fail without friends. You needed us but you have to fly home alone."
She looked at him suspiciously until she finally she jumped into the car and said.
"You can count on me I won't fail"
"That would be a good plan" Grover muttered
The cab peeled away along with the fleece.
"Percy that was so-" grover cut me off
"Generous?"
"Insane." I said "your betting everyone at camp that Clarisse can make it back safely with the fleece by tonight."
"It's her quest she deserves a chance." He said
"Percy is nice" Tyson said
"Percy is too nice" I grumbled I'll be honest I was a little impressed. And very surprised.
"Come on we'll find another way home." Percy said
"Hey cuz" I turned to see Luke holding a sword to Percy's neck. "Welcome back to the states"
One of The bear thugs grabbed me and Grover. The other tried to grab Tyson but Tyson knocked him backwards.
"Percy" Luke said "tell that thing to back down or I'll have Oreius bash your heads together."
Oreius lifted us off the ground. I kicked and tried to get away.
"What do you want Luke?" Percy asked
"I just want to extend my hospitality." He smiled
They started herding us towards the princess andromeda.
They threw us down in front of the swimming pool. Mist sprayed from the fountains.  Monsters and demigods gathered around us.
"Oh what's this?" Luke asked he looked at Percy's belt. He looked over at me to and noticed mine. "You have one to? Fancy. So the fleece where is it?"
He cut Percy's shirt and poked grovers legs.
"Watch it that's real goat fur!" Grover shouted
"Sorry old friend" Luke said "give me the fleece and I'll let you off on your nature quest."
"Blast-ha-ha!" Grover bleated "some old friend"
"Maybe you didn't hear me!" Luke said calmly "where- is- the- fleece?"
"Not here" Percy said "we sent it ahead"
I looked at Luke and realized something. He was scared.
"You're lying how could you?" He paused "Clarisse?"
Percy nodded.
"You trusted....you gave..."
"Yes very stupidly" I muttered
"Agrius go below and prepare my steed. Bring it to the deck. I need to fly to the airport fast."
"But boss-"
"Do it!" Luke screamed "or ill feed you to the drakon!"
He hurried below. Luke cursed in Ancient Greek.
"You've been toying with us all along" Percy said "you wanted us to bring you the fleece."
"Of course you idiot. And you've messed up everything!" Luke scowled
"Traitor" Percy yelled and he threw a drachma at Luke who dodged it. The coin sailed into the mist and I realized what Percy was doing.
"You tricked all of us." Percy yelled "even DIONYSUS at CAMP HALF-BLOOD."
The fountain shimmered and I smiled. Percy uncapped riptide to draw attention away from the Iris Message. I pulled out my compacted sword and swung it out taking it full size. I swung it again and the cover flew off hitting Luke's foot.
"Fancy toy Annabeth too bad it won't work on the monsters." He said "just drop the swords or I'll have to kill you sooner than I want to."
"Who poisoned Thalia's tree Luke?" Percy asked
"I did" he said "of course I already told you that. I used elder python venom straight from the depths of Tartarus."
"Chiron had nothing to do this?"
"Ha you know he would never do that. The old fool wouldn't have the guts."
"You were going to heal Kronos" Percy said
"Yes! The fleece would have brought him back within a day." Luke said "you haven't stopped us only slowed us down"
"So you poisoned the tree you betrayed Thalia you set all this up to help Kronos destroy the gods." Percy said"you know all that why are you asking me"
"Because I want everybody in the audience to hear."
"What audience" Luke asked I smiled
Luke turned and looked behind him. Everyone did the same and gasped
"Well" Dionysus said "some unplanned dinner entertainment."
"You heard him it wasn't Chiron!" Percy said
"I suppose not" Mr D said
"The message could be a trick" tantalus said
"I fear not" Mr D sighed "we are no longer in need of your services tantalus you may return to the underworld."
"No! Noooooo!"
He disappeared.
"Well Percy Kronos was right you're unreliable. You need to be replaced." Luke said "you are never leaving this boat alive!"