Chapter 2: Breaking News

Cameras swung around the studio, recording the nightly broadcast. Owl News held the highest viewer rates in the news market, and that was due to the sensationalism and bipartisanship by which the news was broadcasted. News didn't inform people anymore. Owl pulled in the most ratings and made the most profit because it told people what they already believed was true. News and journalistic integrity had been lost, because those things didn't produce profit.

Sitting behind the desk, the anchor Steve Haggerty turned to his co-host Lisa with a shocked expression. "I am being told we have a live breaking story coming in right now."

Turning to face the cameras, both Steve and Lisa tried to conceal their emotions. Rumours had been circulating through the office of an attack on the Plaza. Waiting for the camera feed to switch to the live report caused the studio to fall silent. The entire broadcasting room hummed with motion, but no words. Cameras continued to roll, broadcasting the awkward silence across the planet. Everyone gathered in the Owl broadcasting room stared at monitors, waiting for the live feed to come through. The screen switched to the cameras recording outside of the Plaza Hotel. In homes all over the world, their screens filled with a new image. Flashing lights filled the darkened sky and reflected off the pure white snow falling across the city. Standing in the center of the screen was Victor Wolfe.

"This is Victor Wolfe reporting outside the Plaza Hotel here in New York City just moments after midnight. Looking around at the scene, I can't help but describe it as a tragedy in a city that has seen more than its fair share. Police, firefighters, and emergency crews responded to the sound of gunfire just before midnight, but no one was prepared for this."

Victor directed the camera to the scene behind him. The cameraman panned the tool of his trade with expert precision. High definition and simulated sense video transmitted everything capture by the camera's lens and sensors. Smoke rolled up from the windows on the ground floor of the Plaza, police cars were flipped on their sides, and shattered glass littered the street. Crimson stains speckled the fresh snow through the high quality recording. Turning the camera back towards Victor, the cameraman panned closer on the streets, showing thousands of casings from spent bullets.

"Emergency crews arrived only to discover they were too late. From initial reports, a large group of protestors turned violent and rushed the police and Muse Security forces protecting the Plaza. Looking around at the scene, it reminds me of a warzone rather than the streets of New York. It would appear that 2034 is already off to an ominous start." Victor stood in front of the camera, waiting for the transmission delay.

The video footage caused most of the people in the broadcast studio to freeze, caught in a vortex of emotional surrealism. Simulated sense video caused all those watching to feel what they were seeing. Few could actually comprehend that the attack had occurred, that the images they were looking at were indeed real, and that this tragedy had taken place so fast. Now, everyone was trying to deny it to themselves. Shock and awe compelled them. To some, these images caused no doubt or hesitation in accepting the truth, and they were shocked into submission by the questions that flowed with the force of a tsunami into their minds. Only the hosts seemed immune to the effects of the images. Professionalism allowed Steve and his co-host Lisa to maintain their composure.

"Victor, is there any information on why the protestors took to violent action?" Steve chose the question because it would be something everyone watching would be asking. It would also allow the greatest room for political spin. News hosts were masters at sounding authoritative, directing the questioners, and setting up fellow reporters to create sound bites. Victor knew his role and waiting for the question with the patience of a tennis player readying to lobe the serve back.