Chapter 42: Midnight Oil

Sitting behind the desk, Henry worked on the proposed plan for the next offensive in IRME. Operation Medusa was already achieving great success in suppressing enemy air forces. Each bombing operation opened up new avenues for attack. Looking over the strategic map, illuminated by a holographic display, Henry focused on the remaining bastions of IRME's defense. IRME forces were still mustering for a counter-attack on the three cities. Crippling the IRME air force would put the IRME counter-attack in jeopardy. NATO naval reports were flooding in, showing the destruction of the Islamic Republic navy outside of Istanbul.

NATO forces lacked the human resources necessary to take the city of Istanbul, but they had begun shelling the fortified city. President Woods had committed another U.S. armada to the attack plan. Satellite monitoring showed the approaching fleet south of Basra. IRME forces were caught between the flanking manoeuvres and had already begun launching aerial attacks on the approaching fleet. Divided between forces, Operation Medusa was continuing to rain fire down on enemy positions. IRME had already lost a third of their air force, and another third were undergoing repair.

Looking over the array of enemy forces, Henry committed NATO forces to the northern and southern defenses. Beirut and Amman had IRME armies just beyond their boundaries, waiting to attack. Henry planned to use NATO and Muse naval force to provide support for the attack on these two positions. Naval bombardment would soften up resistance while preventing IRME from retreating to rejoin the bulk of their forces. Defeating the two IRME armies would open up both the northern and southern fronts of the war. Messina and Mecca were the two largest targets to the south, and IRME forces were protecting the northern cities of Istanbul, Ankara, and Diyarbakir.

Once the allied assault on IRME northern and southern positions began it would create an opportunity. Muse forces could march to capture Kirkus and Baghdad. Capturing these two cities was vital to pressing the Islamic Republic's main force back from surrounding the capital. Reserve forces would assist refugees and civilians being evacuated from the warzone. Henry was committing the majority of his current forces to the operation. Maj. Lee's ground teams had completed installing and calibrating the new mobile SAM defenses. Artillery was being set up to cover the town's defence. New turrets lay in wait for any attack IRME launched against the three cities occupied by allied forces.

Automated defenses had allowed Henry to move the bulk of his armoured mech forces to Damascus. Muse mech forces were still new to war. NATO forces had nothing comparable to the fast and powerful armoured mech divisions, and enemy tanks were nothing more than cannon fodder. Contracts were pouring in from the Western world, requesting Muse to begin building these new armoured troops. Maj. Lee's victory at Damascus had established the superiority of mech forces over tanks. Victory had been the greatest marketing strategy in Muse history. Hundreds of billions were pouring into Muse's corporate holdings.

Looking over the new operation, Henry could see the risks involved. Combat lines would be stretched thin. IRME could slip through the cracks in the line to try to attack the rear position of the three advances. Henry had left detachments in the three cities, not just for defense, but also to strike out at any IRME forces trying to outflank allied forces. Henry looked over the plan and detailed the location of his new Cybernetic Assault Division. Most of the soldiers in the new division would be committed to the main assault, but a few detachments would serve as logistics and communications support. Supreme Allied Commander Navarro still had to give his final approval of the proposed action.

Feeling the weight of exhaustion, Henry struggled to keep his eyelids open. He was now prepared to submit Operation Cerberus to NATO Command. Henry was going over the plan to ensure every contingency was accounted for. Reserve forces would be held back at the three cities, just in case. Henry made the final adjustments and looked at the time. The holographic display showed it was just past midnight. Only the solemn duty of command kept Henry awake. Too many lives depended on the success of Operation Cerberus to leave anything to chance. A knock at the office door startled Henry from his thoughts.

Patricians: Power Politics (2 of 9)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें