Chapter 23: Hedging Bets

Touching down at the White House's private airfield, the Royal Jet of King George came to a rest. The doors opened and S.A.S. guards were the first out the door to secure the area. Secret Service was already waiting with the King's ride at the end of the tarmac. The visit had been kept a secret from everyone except the security to the President and King. Stepping out of the shuttle, George was dressed in royal red and white.

Hanging overhead, the midday sun glared down on the tarmac, and heat distorted the surface of the tarmac.George's sunglasses cut the glare. Descending from the shuttlecraft, the King met with the President's Director of Security Services, Dante Bowman. Opening the door, the director ushered the King into the vehicle, careful to avoid touching him and setting off a diplomatic incidence. Royalty required delicate care and had weird rules from centuries ago.

S.A.S. agents entered their vehicles and followed the limo and Secret Service to the White House. President Woods had just returned from his meeting with Henry Williams and was waiting in the Oval Office. Secret Service agents, alongside the S.A.S., escorted the King through the White House and into the Oval Office. When the door opened, George saw the President sitting behind his desk, working away. President Woods put down his pen and stood up to greet his friend and ally.

"King George, it is always a pleasure to see you. I hope your trip was smooth."

George shook the President's hand and looked around the office, admiring the beauty. It seemed surreal to the young king that, at one time in history, America and England had been staunch enemies. Now the two nations were joined in bonds of mutual interest. England remembered the sacrifice the American people had made during the great wars. Paintings on the wall commemorated the greatest moments in American history over the last century. George admired the paintings just as he did the ones in Buckingham Palace commemorating British history.

Each President decorated the Oval Office with his or her own flair. President Woods' decoration focused on the past glories of America. Hanging in the office was a portrait of George Washington. In a press release, President Woods claimed that picture served to remind him of the solemn duty to the people entrusted to General Washington during the War for Independence, and the greater burden placed upon the man after the war. Every day, the picture pushed President Woods to do his very best for the people. The few decorations reflected the man's desire not to waste public funds on vain flatteries. King George admired his ally's dedication to the people. There was cunning in the display as well. Each picture spoke to the supremacy of the Office of the President of the Unite States, and reinforced President Woods own supremacy.

"The trip gave me time to think about why you might ask me to come. You refused to tell me, and your reluctance leaves me intrigued."

President Woods did have a very good reason to summon his ally. "We need to discuss the situation with Henry Williams."

Everything became clear in George's mind. Henry's behaviour since the party had been terrifying to witness by his allies. News reports of the damage caused in Russia revealed the man's cunning and capacity for vengeance. While the destruction of the magnetic rail system did help the two men's plans, it also terrified them. Henry hadn't left any evidence, and Russia was in complete chaos. These events troubled both men whose interests were tied to Henry. They feared what could happen if the Muse CEO's ire fell on them.

King George understood why Henry had chosen that course of action. Witnessing Julia's abduction and the massacre firsthand allowed the King to emphasize with his friend. If it had been George's daughter, he might have done the exact same thing. President Woods was unaware of Julia's abduction, and, without context, Henry's actions seemed random. Uncertainty was the source of all fear, and that was a lesson well learned by the young King.