Chapter 47: Love's Shield

Leading the team, Robert marched his unit towards Kut. Gunfire echoed from all around the soldiers. In the skies above, fighters were engaged in dog fighting manoeuvres. Explosions filled the sky, reminding the soldiers of fireworks. Lt. Malarkey had transmitted Julia's last known position to the unit. In the distance, smoke billowed up from the town of Kut. Scanning the airwaves, Lt. Myers searched the landscape for any sign of Julia's neural implant, but, so far, he had discovered nothing. Enemies were jamming transmission, limiting the range of most detection devices.

Denied access to the IRME network, the military had adapted by using signal-jamming technology. Interference from the jammers radiated out from Kut, blocking Lt. Myers search efforts. Robert's unit had suffered a few casualties during the assault on Baghdad. Leaving the wounded behind for treatment, the remaining soldiers left Baghdad for Kut. They were following orders. The roar of fighters above filled the unit with fear. Everyone listened and watched for any sign of attack during the march towards Kut.

Using cybernetic vision, Robert could see the IRME army streaming out of the city of Kut. Tanks kicked up dust in the distance, creating a billowing cloud behind their advance. Robert knew the army must be pursuing Julia. With a thought, the captain ordered his men to increase speed. Time was the real enemy in this situation. Robert knew that if IRME forces got to Julia before he did, they would use her against her father or kill her.

Running away from the pursuing army, Julia struggled to catch her breath. Chaos and the Wolf Pack had bought some time with the sacrifice of their lives. Julia knew she had to keep going, and her strength of will drove the exhausted muscles burning in her legs. Each step was harder than the last. Glancing back, Julia could see over her shoulder that the threat was closing in behind her. Strength of will fueled each footstep as she kept running.

Cresting a hill, Robert scanned the distance and spotted a lone figure. His cybernetic eyes zoomed in on the person. Robert saw Julia, and, in that moment, hope burst to life. Giving orders, the captain told his men to take cover and prepared to engage the enemy. IRME forces were closing in on Julia fast and needed to be stopped.

Shouts echoed from behind, telling the woman to stop. Julia didn't understand the language or bother to look back. James' last words repeated in her head like a mantra. Don't look back echoed over and over in her mind. Gunshots echoed and bullets struck the ground in front of the woman, but she refused to stop. Looking up, Julia caught a glimpse of someone on top of the hill in front of her, but she couldn't make out the person's identity. Robert knew he needed to identify himself without revealing the exact position of the team. Interference from IRME forces made connecting to Julia's wireless neural implant almost impossible. Robert could see his forces had taken cover behind rocks and knew there was only one solution.

"Run!" Robert raced down the hill.

Looking up, Julia couldn't believe what she was seeing. IRME troops were opening fire on the captain. Gunshots struck all around Robert, but his new cybernetic muscles made him far too fast to be hit. Hope filled Julia with a new source of strength, and she raced up the hill towards Robert.

Tanks opened fire, sending their barrage whistling through the air. Explosions launched dirt and debris into the air where the shells struck. Robert leapt through the cloud of dirt, landing and continuing his stride down the hill. Nothing could stop the man hell-bent on saving the woman he loved. Terror was no longer an enemy in Robert's mind but a grim ally carrying him forward.

Explosions sent chunks of earth at Julia, slowing her progress. Bullets whizzed through the air, striking all around the woman. Struggling against the dirt storm, Julia pressed forward, trying to block the chunks of dirt with her arm. Robert continued to press forward through the onslaught. One large chunk of dirt struck Julia and launched her off her feet. IRME tanks continued to thunder in the distance. Hitting the ground, Julia lost consciousness for a moment.