Chapter 38: Fear and Suspicion

CIA operatives had created a private network for President Woods and King George's communication. After witnessing Henry's strange behaviour at the war council, both men had agreed to meet. CIA and SAS agents were watching the network to ensure there was no attempt to access the system. Henry Williams was notorious for his intelligence gathering abilities. President Woods stood in the dark abyss between the glowing hubs created by the city's vast, networked mainframes.

Logging in, King George appeared opposite his ally and fellow member of the political triumvirate. It was evident by Adam's expression that Henry's behaviour had disturbed him far more than it had the English King. George didn't like the feeling he was reading off his ally. Muse had engrained itself in both American and British cultures. George remembered what had happened to Henry's enemies. History painted a grim picture.

"King George, I am glad you were able to meet me here." Adam extended his hand to his ally.

Both men shook hands in greeting, but George took the opportunity to size up his ally's thoughts. The handshake was firm, carrying intention with the greeting. Henry had taught the young king to study people with a discerning eye. All information was valuable, and to gain as much of it as possible brought advantage. By gauging one's friends and enemy with the same respect, one would never be caught unprepared. George needed to learn more.

"I will admit, Mr. President, that Henry's behaviour was indeed strange. What are your thoughts?" George intended to probe further in order to find the source of the President's trepidation. Strange behaviour under the circumstance was justifiable. Witnessing Julia's abduction had reminded the young man of the night his parents were killed. It was understandable for a person to use what power they had to protect the people they loved.

Breaking from the handshake, Adam looked his ally straight in the eyes.

"No need for formality here. Just call me Adam, Your Majesty."

The words struck George as strange. President Woods was setting his own rank aside while still clinging to formality. Returning the show of respect, George spoke with soft words.

"I agree there is no need for formality here in cyberspace, and you may call me George. Let us both get to the source of our fears. What are your worries, Adam?"

Despite being young, George showed great cunning and strategy in his action. Adam knew he needed to proceed with care to ensure the success of his machinations.

Too much effort had been put into the invasion of IRME to be thrown aside. Many of Adam's contributors to his political campaign had expected the war to fund their growing businesses. Government contracts were lucrative to the military industrial complex owners. Other political supporters expected the war to open up new lands to exploit. Creating new markets would allow new revenue to flow into both American and British governments. Aristocrats demanded access to these new markets. The greatest concern to Adam was ending the threat of terror from the Islamic radicals inside the Islamic Republic.

"We are on the edge of a dangerous abyss, George. Henry is distracted and all our plans lie in his success in taming the Islamic Republic. Israel and our other allies are depending on our success, and we'll both be punished for failure."

George could see now what was bothering his ally, and that was the lack of control over Henry. The title of King provided him with some protection from public backlash--something that Adam didn't possess. It did appear that Henry was turning his back on the plan that had brought the triumvirate together.