20

{ D - 7 }

There was only one week left until the Age Ceremony.

However, a lot of things can happen in a week.

Seungkwan was doing his normal volunteer hours in the Childcare Center. He was on his break, after he had just finished reading a book about plants to Doyoung. The young child was now eating Third Meal, along with the other soon-to-be five-year-old children. As he walked over to the lounge room, he could hear hushed voices coming from the inside of the door. Before he walked in, he peaked through and saw only the two head care workers inside discussing something very quietly and discreetly, like they didn't want anyone else to hear.

"What do we do about Number 57821?" One of the workers asked quietly.

Seungkwan recognized that ID Number to be Doyoung's. He leaned in closer to the door so he could clearly hear what the two employees were discussing about the child.

"I mean it's plainly obvious the young child has no ability to verbally communicate," the worker continued. "According to the law he should've been eliminated when he was two."

"The district hasn't dealt this a situation like this before," the other worker explained. "So we weren't able to do anything by the book with this child. The young one has caused us many... inconveniences."

"Did you get a message from the Head Council regarding this situation?" The first worker asked impatiently, earning a nod from the former.

"They sent me a message saying they want Number 57821 eliminated tonight," the other responded.

Seungkwan's eyes widened with fear. The Head Council was going to eliminate Doyoung? He couldn't believe it. He didn't want to believe it. He leaned in closer once more in case they were discussing any more details about Doyoung's elimination.

"But everyone's so busy preparing for the Age
Ceremony that it'll have to be delayed," the same worker continued, causing Seungkwan to sigh with relief.

"When is the next available elimination appointment open?"

"In four days."

Seungkwan's began to tear up. How could they eliminate Doyoung? How could they kill an innocent young child? Even at four years old, the small boy held so much potential; yet the district was planning to get rid of him because of his inability to speak. The thought made Seungkwan's hands curl into fists as tears began to stream out of his eyes.

"So it's confirmed that the young one's elimination is in four days?" the other worker asked.

The second working nodded. "In four days, number 57821 will go through the elimination process."

The young volunteer began to slowly back away from the door before he turned around and dashed out of the Childcare center with tears streaming down his face. Shortly after, he accidentally bumped into someone's shoulder, causing him to bow as an apology and scurry away with his head dipped down. The person he bumped into grabbed onto his wrist before he could walk away any further, causing him to look up and meet the eyes of the person he ran into, a very familiar friend.

"Seungkwan," Hansol said, "Everything okay?"

Seungkwan allowed himself to become vulnerable in front of the former and immediately began to cry helplessly. Hansol grew worried, leaning closer towards Seungkwan's face and delicately wiping away the latter's tears.

"I-It's Doyoung," the blonde-haired whimpered, "Jihoon agreed to let me take him with us during our escape, b-but they're planning on killing him before the Age Ceremony even happens."