22

Seungkwan ran as fast as possible, trying to widen the distance between him and those chasing after him. He had been surrounded by guards, their guns all aimed directly at him. He managed to pull a magic trick by chucking the glass sphere on the ground, causing it to explode with gas and hinder the vision of the tough crowd. He made a run for it, but he knew it wouldn't keep them away from his trail forever.

Seungkwan dashed toward the Childcare center, successfully arriving without anyone following his trail, and crept quietly into the building, careful not to make a sound. He was dressed in all black, hoping it would allow himself to blend in with the darkness. Of course, he completely forgot that he would be breaking into a completely white building with nothing but white interior. So the disguise wasn't really much of a help.

He made his way over to the room of four-year-olds with ease, since he practically knew the whole building by heart after volunteering so many times. He tiptoed over to the little bed that his special child was sleeping in, carefully examining the little boy. He took out the dark blanket and hastily made a sling out of it, wrapping it diagonally around his torso. He picked up Doyoung and cradled him in his arms before he placed him in the sling he had just made, covering up the boy so that he too would blend in with the darkness. As he stealthily made his way out of the room, he heard footsteps drawing nearer, causing him to stiffen up before dashing away as silently as possible.

He didn't exactly know why, but for some reason finding an exit out of the Childcare Center was a lot harder than when he entered inside. He couldn't go through the entrance; security probably already suspected someone was breaking in and were most likely standing guard over there, hoping to catch the intruder. He had to find another way out, which was harder than it seemed.

His eyes lit up once he saw another back door at the end of the hallway, sighing with relief as he started running toward his ticket out. However, almost halfway there, someone walked out of a room and stood in the middle of the hallway to face Seungkwan, causing the intruder to abruptly stop in his tracks. It was the Head Careworker who was standing there. The middle-aged lady looked at Seungkwan with apathetic eyes that made shivers crawl up the younger's spine.

"Seungkwan, may I ask what you're doing with this boy?" She asked, her voice gentle yet threatening.

"I-it has nothing to do with you," Seungkwan stammered, his knees quivering.

"Well, if you plan on taking him, then I'm afraid I'll have to stop you," she said, folding her hands politely as she flashed him an empty smile. "You see, the young one has a very important appointment tomorrow that is vital for the child to attend. So, if you'll just hand over—"

"I'm not going to do that!" Seungkwan cried, clutching harder onto Doyoung, who was cradled in the sling against Seungkwan's chest. "Killing isn't vital; it's brutal!"

"Who said anything about killing?" The careworker chuckled, "Now, my boy, killing is a strong word to use for the situation."

"It's strong, but it's true," Seungkwan stated firmly. "I'm not handing him over. Now please move out of the way."

"Forgive me, but I can't do that," She said calmly, "If you leave with him there will be some problems; and as you know, District 17 does not think very highly of problems."

"You guys are the problem," Seungkwan mumbled, subtly reaching for the gun in his back pocket.

"Now, young man," The careworker began to step closer to where Seungkwan was standing, "hand over the child."