[3] "I know a couple of guys that would never see me in that way."

[3] "I know a couple of guys that would never see me in that way"

"On the board are your 20 vocab words for the week. Take a few minutes to copy them all. Quiz will be on Friday!"

Nevaeh ignored Mrs. Johnson, her English IV teacher and continued to draw in her notebook. Her drawing subjects today was the entire classroom. As she sat in the back row, she was able to see the back of everyone in front of her.

Nevaeh realized her artistic talent when she was in elementary school. Her parents nurtured her hobby by purchasing art supplies and enrolling her in courses when she was old enough to attend. While everyone around her were heading to state and community colleges, she was going to art school in the fall.

"Heaven."

Nevaeh stopped the movement of the pencil and frowned. Only one person called her heaven. She looked to her right and saw him staring at her. She momentarily forgot that Quincy was in her class. "Why are you sitting next to me?" She didn't hide the disdain in her voice.

She hated him and he knew why.

"Why are you so mean? I just wanted to say hello. We haven't spoken in a while."

Nevaeh turned away from him and started drawing again. She didn't want to focus on his perfect smile and dimpled cheeks.

"Did you really think I would want to talk to you? Why are you even talking to me?"

Quincy moved his desk over to be close to her. He smiled. "This is the only time I can get you alone. Your guard dogs aren't around. I'm really sorry Heaven and I miss us together."

Nevaeh took a deep breath. Don't fall for it. She chanted in her head. It would be so easy to fall back into love with him. She couldn't do that to herself again.

He was the only serious boyfriend she ever had and the only guy Sammie and Teddy trusted her with. They played ball with Quincy and was cool with him. The trust was diminished when Quincy started to talk about their relationship with all of his boys. Intimate details were quickly spread around the school, some true and others false. Either way, she ended things with him after half a year of dating.

Afterwards, Nevaeh spent days crying over him. She didn't like being the center of attention, especially negative attention. Her tears dried up when Sammie and Teddy beat the shit out of Quincy. That was a year ago and here he was, trying to talk to her. I guess he didn't learn.

"Quincy, there will never be an us again."

He sighed. "I still love you and I'll keep hoping for a second chance." He kissed her cheek before moving back to his seat.

A few people were watching the interaction. Nevaeh frowned. It'll be around the whole school in a hour that she was back with Quincy.

She raised her hand. "Can I please be excused? I'm not feeling well."

-

Where are you? Nevaeh sent to Teddy in a text. She left the class under the pretense that she was sick and going to the nurse's office .

Library. U ok? He replied quickly.

Nevaeh walked across campus to the library. She walked in and found him in the back corner studying.

"Teddy Bear."

He looked up and saw the sad look on her face. "What's wrong, pretty girl?"

"I hate boys." She sat down beside him and placed her head on the table.