[12] "No DNA."

[12] "No DNA."

Friday afternoon

About two days passed since the group had their meeting in the office. Every detail of the party had been planned out. By Friday, they were all geeked up with excitement. Tomorrow night, they would be dancing, drinking and partying with their closest friends.

After school, Teddy dropped Nevaeh off at home. She waved as she walked into the house heading towards her bedroom.

"Vay! Come here for a second."

She groaned. She knew a second was going to turn into an hour conversation. She dropped her bag near her door and back tracked towards her mom. "Hey, ma." Nevaeh settled at the breakfast bar and watched her mom roll small balls of dough to make raisin cookies. She reached across and tried to snag some but her mom slapped her hand away. "Child abuse!" ate yelled.

"You're legally an adult."

"So I can do whatever I want?"

Her mom laughed. "Not while you're living under our roof and depending on our money to stay fly."

Nevaeh groaned. "Don't say fly."

"Why not? All of your friends think I'm fly and bout it, bout it."

"Ma, no one says bout it, bout it. Stay in your lane."

Her mother laughed again. "Okay, fine. I'll stay in my mommy lane." She pointed out the window. "Your dad and I pay approximately $300 a month for that pretty Volvo parked in the driveway. Please tell me why it hasn't moved for 2 days."

Vay shrugged her shoulders. "I've been riding with Teddy everyday."

"Hmmm. I noticed. Is there something going on with you and Teddy? There's a bet on which Coleman boy you're going to marry."

Vay rolled her eyes. She hopped off of the stool and got something to drink out of the fridge. "Don't you old people have better things to worry about?" she asked after sipping some water.

"Besides our kids futures? Nope."

She sat back down. "There's nothing going on. It's the same as always," she lied, a little. Her mother didn't need to know everything.

"Are you sure? You had a thing for Teddy in the past and wasn't Sammie your first kiss?"

Vay blushed with embarrassment. "All of that was in middle school. That kiss was during a game of spin the bottle and it was just a small crush on Teddy. It's all over."

"Hmmm."

Nevaeh stood to leave. "Are you don't interrogating me? I thought daddy was the ex detective? You're getting worse then him."

Laughter filled the kitchen. "Sit down, I'm almost done. I know you kids are planning something. I couldn't get a clear vision on it but I know there's going to be a party. Since this is your senior year and you've never disappointed us with your actions, I'm going to pretend that I don't know. I won't tell daddy. Just be careful and call me if things get out of hand."

"I will." There was no sense in playing ignorant. Her mother always knew.

"And no DNA."

Vay smiled. They had code words for certain things to keep her dad out of the loop. Her mother meant no dick and alcohol. "What about no D and a little A?"

"No. Some A might lead to some D that you'll regret. Believe me, I didn't start getting good D until I met your dad."

Vay put her hands up to stop her from talking. "Okay! Okay! No DNA."