[13] It was a mistake...I think."

Saturday morning

Nevaeh woke up slowly to the sound of the house phone ringing through the living room. She threw the blanket off of her and stumbled towards the phone. Who would be calling a 8:30am? She was exhausted from staying up till 4am goofing off with Teddy and Sammie.

"Hello?"

"Good morning stir fry."

Vay leaned against the wall for support. "Hi daddy, its early."

"I know, honey. I'm just checking on you."

"I was fine, I slept right through it," she lied. "Daddy, can we talk later? I have breakfast plans with London, I need to shower," she stated. It was another lie but maybe she could turn it into the truth if Lo said yes.

"Ok, I'm headed to the bathroom as well, your mom wants to talk to you. Love you."

"Love you too," Vay waited for her mom to get on the phone. "Hey mommy."

"Nevaeh Nicole," she stated.

Shit, she instantly thought. She recognized the tone her mom was using. It was the Nevaeh fucked up tone. "I can explain." She looked at the two boys on her couches snoring. How was she going to explain? She didn't have a clue "Is daddy near you?"

"No."

"Are you in mommy zone or friend zone?"

"Friend zone," her mother replied quickly. "I already knew the boys were coming over but I didn't know that you and Teddy were going to..."

Her face was as red as a tomato. She tip toed towards her room with the phone wedged against her neck. "It was just a kiss, nothing else happened."

"How are you feeling about it?"

Most teen girls would never openly talk to their mom about boys and sex but since Vay had a mom that knew everything before it happened, she didn't have a choice. "Confused. You could have given me a heads up."

"I just saw that the boys would be sleeping on the couches. I woke up to a vision of my daughter dry humping a boy she considers her Teddy Bear. I'm so disappointed in you."

I'm disappointed in myself. "What happened to the friend zone?"

"I'm sorry, what would a friend say? Go ahead girl and get the pipe?"

Vay scrunched her face up. "Not in those words. I just need some friend advice not a mommy speech."

"Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm always in mommy zone even when I say I'm not. It's my job. I thought you liked Sammie. You're not going to get him by hooking up with his cousin who is also your friend. Do you like Teddy?"

Vay banged her head against her bedroom wall. "No. It was a mistake...I think."

"Well think hard young lady."

Vay groaned when her mom called her young lady.

"You are not the type of girl to mess around with two boys. You are not a tot."

"It's thot, mommy"

"You know what I meant. Figure out what you want, honey. DBR."

Which meant that her dad was back in the room. "Okay, love you."

"Love you too."

Vay fell against the bed as she ended the call. She buried her face in the pillow. "I should just run away."

"I would find you."

She jumped and turned at the sound of Teddy's voice. He was standing by her door. "Good morning."

Teddy walked into the room with his hands tucked into the pockets of his flannel pajamas. Instead of settling on the bed with her, he leaned against her dresser. "We didn't get the chance to talk after what happened."

She ran a hand through her hair and it got tangled in the kinkiness of curls. Teddy laughed as she struggled to get her hand loose. "Women always do it in the movies when they are frustrated," she mumbled.

"So if this was a movie, what would happen next?"

"In a perfect world, we would forget what happened and move on. And it would stay between us," and my mom. She silently added.

Teddy thought it over and decided that he didn't want awkwardness between them. He wanted whatever she wanted. Even if it wasn't what he wanted. I guess that kiss meant more to him then her. "Okay. We can move on and forget it all."

She sighed in relief. "Thank you."

"No problem. I need to head home." He walked over and kissed her forehead. "I'll see you tonight."

"Bye Teddy Bear."

"Bye baby girl."

Teddy walked back into to the living room and slipped into his Jordan slides and grabbed his keys. He tapped Sammie on the forehead. "I'm out. Make sure she's straight before you go."

"I'm making her come home with me. I would never let anything happen to Vay." Sammie mumbled before falling back asleep.

"Good." Teddy opened up the front door and left the house. He got into his car and rested his head against the steering wheel. "Call dad's cell phone." He stated out loud after putting the key in the ignition and starting the car. His dad's voice came through the speakers as he started to drive.

"Good morning, son."

"Dad, I need some advice," Teddy stated straightforward as he drove home.

"What's going on?"

"You were friends with mom for 3 years before y'all got together. What changed your relationship?"

"I think I always loved your mom from the beginning but my feelings didn't evolve until we started having a physical relationship," Zeke replied honestly. "Then I almost lost her and realized that I couldn't live without her. Is this about Nevaeh?"

Teddy stopped at a red light. "I kissed her. And it wasn't a little peck. If I wouldn't have gotten interrupted - "

"I get it. So now what? Are you two together? And what about Desiree?"

Teddy shook his head as if his dad could see it. "My feelings for Desiree are still there but they're new and Vay wants Sammie." Was it possible to like two people at once? It must be because that's what he was experiencing.

Zeke cursed. "Well damn. I love Vay, she's always been apart of your life from the very beginning but I don't want you and Sammie to fight over her. Y'all are family."

"It won't come down to it." Teddy explained the whole situation. The fact that he was helping Vay get Sammie's attention. "She wants to forget everything."

"And what do you want?"

What did he want? He wanted to see Vay's smile and hear her laugh. He wanted to see the sparkle in her eyes when she was talking about something passionate. He didn't want to take any of that away from her. "I want Nevaeh happy and if Sammie makes her happy. I want her with him."