[8] "It wasn't about you."

[8] "It wasn't about you"

Wednesday morning

"We need to talk."

Nevaeh recognized Teddy's voice. She turned from her putting her books into her locker and stared at his face. She noticed his grimm appearance. "I liked the flowers but I'm still mad at you," she said while grabbing her physics book.

"Vay, I saw your diary. That's what I want to talk about, he blurted out.

Nevaeh dropped her book. "You did what?" Her diary? So much of her life was imbedded on those pages. She wrote in a journal as a method of therapy, not for anyone to read. "What? How?" she rambled.

Teddy bent down and grabbed the book. "I took the flowers to your room and it was on your desk."

"And it said, Teddy read me!" she yelled. "How could you?"

A few people in the halls were staring. Teddy cursed and grabbed Nevaeh's hand. He took her to the storage closet for privacy. She instantly smelled the bleach in the small room. This was one of the closets that their classmates used to screw each other during school. Great, this will give people more to talk about.

Teddy turned the light on. "I'm sorry," he apologized. "I'm sorry for what happened with Quincy and I'm sorry for reading your journal. It wasn't intentional. I don't like you upset with me. It makes my world unbalanced."

Nevaeh sighed. She couldn't stay mad at him. Not when his brown eyes were looking at her begging for forgiveness. "I'm still mad but I forgive you," she muttered. "A little bit."

A slow smile transformed on his face. "Well it's a start." He pulled Vay in for a hug. "I missed you yesterday."

"I needed a mental health day."

They remained wrapped in each other's arms until the late bell went off. She pulled away first. "What did you read?" There was no point in trying to avoid the conversation. "My fears about art school? My thoughts about my biological mom? Or that I wish I was gifted like my adoptive mom?" she listed. Her life was a complicated mess. She loved her mom but had thoughts about her dad's first wife, her biological mom. She hated that her brothers were gifted and could do things. At least she shared the connection with her dad of being regular. Art school was the smallest of her worries. She was more excited about taking that step in her life.

"It had future Mrs. Coleman written in it."

"Oh." Nevaeh forgot about writing that. She started fanning herself. She couldn't believe that Teddy had read it and was starting to panic. Is it hot in here?"

"Nevaeh, be real."

"It wasn't about you," she stated.

"Huh?"

"You aren't the only Coleman I know, Teddy. It was about Sammie."

He seemed surprised. "You like...Sammie?" he asked in a incredulous tone.

"Don't make it a big deal. It's just a crush that'll pass. I had one on you in middle school. That's why you couldn't sleep over anymore. My mom found out.

"You liked me?"

"Yes. I get it, you guys don't see me that way. What's going on with Sammie is nothing and I want it to stay between us."

Teddy seemed speechless. He couldn't quite grasp his words. "O-kay."

"Thanks. Let's get to class." She kissed his cheek and moved around him and left the closet first. Teddy came out after her still confused.