• three •

I ran through the rain with my bag clutched close to my chest.

The storm came down suddenly without warning. The rain pelted me as I ran across campus, pushing past the other students that ran for cover. I ran blindly to the Administrative building, trying to make my meeting with one of the counselors on time.

I avoided a large puddle only to run into another one deep enough that it submerged my entire foot. I could barely see through my soaked glasses.

Why didn't I specter between ladies rooms? That was what I would usually do to practice some of my magic. I knew what the Admin buildings restrooms looked like, I could have done it, but why didn't I?

I ran onto the street to cross and as soon as I did, a bright light flashed before me. A loud horn blared in my direction.

I turned to the loud horn and lights. A car was barrelling towards me. I froze on the spot, unable to move out of the way. It was so close.

I shut my eyes tightly and braced for the impact when something strong grabbed my arm and pulled me out of the way. The man's grip was like iron as he pulled me from the street and back onto the sidewalk.

He didn't let me go as the car continued through as if I wasn't even there a moment before in the first place. I breathed a sigh of relief as my heart thundered in my chest. I moved my soaked glamoured brown hair out of my face and looked at my rescuer.

I frowned when I recognized him. "Asmo? What are you doing here?"

How did he know? Damien and I had been so careful. No one knew about me being back in the human world.

He nodded towards a covered hall between two buildings. "Let's get out of the rain."

He let me go and I followed him until we were both under the the tin roof of the passageway.

A brilliant flash of lightning illuminated the dark hall. It was dark for being the middle of the afternoon. As if on cue, the orange halogen sconces of the hall turned on.

I swung my messenger bag back on my side, letting fall against my body. I closed my eyes and leaned against a metal pillar of the cover as I caught my breath. I placed my glasses on my head and moved the hair out of my face. "What are you doing here? How did you even know-"

He chuckled. "Thank you, Asmo," he said instead, "for pulling me out of the way of an oncoming car."

Despite what happened, I laughed. The laughter bubbled through me. "Thank you Asmo."

He smiled back. It was a genuine smile, it even creased his eyes. The rain had soaked him from head to toe. I could only imagine how much worse it was due to the heavy coat he was wearing.

I laughed. "You're soaked."

He answered by throwing his head back. The excess water in his long hair splashed me as he did, making me jump back in surprise.

"Hey!" I giggled.

His dark eyes met mine. I'd never seen him smile this much before.

I shook my head trying to clear my head. "What are you doing here?"

"I was asked to come to get you."

I frowned. Damien usually texted me, he wouldn't have sent Asmo. I shrugged it off.

"And I'm glad that I came now, who would have pulled you out of traffic?"

I rolled my eyes. "I'm usually not this clumsy."

His eyes scanned mine. His voice was soft. "How are you, Emylin?"

I frowned. His question so out of place. "How am I?" I shook my head. "We should go. I'm sure they're waiting for us in the Underworld."