• seventeen •

// Song: Slip Away - Ruelle
Dedicated to @GabrielaCuentas for the song suggestion.

We appeared on a mountainside. The picturesque view of the valley caught my breath. A river snaked through the mountains leading to a large pristine lake. Beyond the lake were snow-capped mountains so high that they seemed to touch the clouds. Fog curled around us where we stood and I hugged my arms to protect myself from the sudden chill.

The small gravel road we stood on weaved down the mountainside and led to a small town at the base of the valley near the lake. Small houses dotted the dark mountain and a small boat waited on the calm lake.

"Nyxiem," Julian finally said. "The closest town to the entrance I know."

"It's so different from Kingstown," I whispered. "Much older. Almost destroyed."

When I turned, he was nodding. "Yes, Robyn used it as a stronghold once. The impact the army had on this area was devastating. Warren gave them nearly unlimited resources to rebuild but they refused. They wanted to rebuild by their own means at their own pace." He shrugged. "Goblins are stubborn." He stopped as he turned. "Well, not as stubborn as you."

I rolled my eyes at his comment but followed him as he walked up the mountainside road. "Wait," I said to his back. "We're not going?"

He shook his head. "Goblins don't like High fae. They will like the queen even less. Besides, our journey is this way." He pointed up the mountain. "The entrance is around here." I could hear him mumble under his breath, unsure. "Somewhere."

I quietly laughed to myself as I followed him on the trail.

The gravel crunching underneath our feet were the only sounds to keep us company as we ascended the secluded mountains and hills. There were the occasional birds chirping but eventually, it gave way to my huffing as we climbed up the steep mountain. No one appeared on the road. Julian studied the terrain, the trees, and rocks as he continued up the path. Eventually, he ducked into a small cave only large enough for one, disappearing from sight.

I stood by the entrance trying to make him out in the small light he had as it bounced shadows off the rocky surface. "Anything?" I asked.

"Nothing, yet," his voice echoed in the small space. "But I could really use your help. I sense the entrance is nearby--I can't find it."

I frowned, squinting at what I thought was him in the darkness. "What do you mean 'sense it'?"

I stepped aside from the entrance when I heard him approach.

"My Light magic is pulling me to it." He groaned as he pushed himself against the small opening he barely fit through the first time. "I just can't find it."

My breath caught in my throat when he emerged. Seeing Julian with silver hair was something I wasn't sure I could get used to. I'd seen it before briefly when we plummeted into the Styx. At that point, we'd been drenched in head to toe in the filth of the river and his hair had a green hue to it.

But now, it was daylight and the way the sun's rays danced on the color of his hair was just like mine. The strands fell over his forehead, making him toss his head back in an effort to clear it from his eyes.

"I've been feeling it for the last ten minutes, haven't you?"

I swallowed. No, nothing. I hadn't felt anything pull me anywhere. Slowly, I shook my head.