• eighteen •

I tumbled down the cliff, trying to specter to avoid the fall but was unable to. Every time I tried, I would lose my footing again and fall. Branches scratched my face and hands as I crashed into them. A thick branch hit the back of my head so hard I stared seeing stars.

I landed hard on my feet and I felt, more than heard, my ankle snap. I cried out as it happened, feeling the pain explode through my leg.

I felt Julian catch me in his arms then immediately pull me into an embrace. I felt us specter again and slam into the muddy ground.

Julian let out a string of curses as he lay beneath me, cushioning my fall. "I said to stay close, Emylin. Stay close."

I felt pain explode through my body. I didn't even have the fight in me to bite back a sarcastic response. My body ached. My head pounded. "Sorry," I whispered. "The tree just disappeared beneath me—"

He placed his palm on my cheek, his fingers in my hair. He tilted my face away from his chest where I had it and made me look at him. "Gods, Emylin," he said as he looked at me. His eyes moved between mine as he studied me. "How do you have this innate ability to fall from high places?"

I had to swallow my nervousness as I looked at him. Julian was so devastatingly handsome. His jaw was strong, with light stubble across it. His grey eyes were kind but full of worry that I didn't deserve.

My voice was hoarse. "I think I broke my ankle and hit my head."

He nodded. "All right, don't move. I'm going to put you on your back." Gently, he turned on his side, setting me next to him. I felt bile rise as I lay immobile on the muddy ground. I groaned in pain when he checked my ankle.

I gripped the mud under my fingers to stifle my scream from the pain.

He sighed. "Yes, it's broken. We'll take a break until you heal. Should be a couple of minutes." He set it gently on the ground and moved to my line of vision. He placed a soothing hand on my cheek. "How do you feel?"

I wanted to press my cheek into his hand but fought it. I hissed in pain as the pounding in my head seemed to intensify. "I think I'm going to throw up."

He sensed my playful tone and chuckled as he watched me. "It'll pass soon, just don't move."

I watched him as he watched me, his newly blonde hair falling across his forehead as he did.

"I'm not used to you blonde," I said quietly.

I saw him fight a smile. "Are you checking me out, Emylin?" I felt his fingers through my hair and I realized he was looking for a wound on my skull. "You must have hit your head harder than I thought." He shook his head and he glamoured his hair back to the black I was used to seeing him in. "I'm not used to you having black hair, either."

Gathering the little courage I had, I spoke again. "Congratulations, by the way." I still couldn't speak over a whisper. "I signed the law this morning. I'm sure you and Vy will be very happy together."

I saw a small frown crease his perfect brow.

I couldn't look away from his grey eyes. "After everything you've been through, you deserve to marry whoever you want as a Lord, even a Lady."

He didn't speak and for a moment I was afraid it was because of the way my voice shook at the end.

He smiled again and I could have sworn he was secretly teasing me. "Vy and I are not getting married. We are not together."

I frowned. Maybe I did hit my head harder than I thought. "What?"

He shook his head. "Vy is pushing this law for a friend. Not for herself. We are not getting married."