• fifty-three •

//Song: american money - børns

●◉●◉●

I left my room hesitantly while Julian showered to go downstairs for a glass of water.

As time was drawing nearer to when Damien asked for all of us to come back, fear began to grip me. My heart was beating faster and my hand shook as I held the glass under the faucet in the dark kitchen.

I was lost in my thoughts, thinking of any possible way that I could trap Mal.

I checked my clothes over again. I didn't have armor or anything that could help me defend myself like before but I changed into some of Leah's black workout clothes. I wanted to be able to move freely if needed.

I sighed deeply as I stood in front of the sink, a hand on the back of my neck.

My neck was so stiff from the tension.

"Emylin."

I froze.

We weren't supposed to be alone together.

At all.

I looked at where he stood. He was blocking my way to the stairs.

Gods, if he trapped me into another bargain...

I set my glass down back into the sink so hard the sound almost echoed in the room.

"Just listen to me."

It was a plea. In a tone that I had never heard him use.

I began to specter but his hand reached out to mine. I couldn't move. He wouldn't let me specter.

I looked at him in shocked anger.

He moved quickly, pulling me away from the sink then pinning me against the refrigerator. Both of his hands were on either side of me against the refrigerator, preventing me from moving from where he placed me.

His usually dark eyes were tinted yellow almost shining in the darkness.

I wondered if he pulled on demon power to keep me from spectering.

"I just need you to listen, Emylin," he whispered. He leaned forward, his forehead resting against the refrigerator. His dark hair fell across his face. His lips were close to my ear. "You don't have to go," he whispered again. "What Damien said, it isn't true. She will kill you if she has the chance. She won't let anyone stop her this time."

The palms of my hands were sweating at my sides. My fingers were tingling.

He pulled away slightly. His fingers gingerly touched the ends of my hair. "I'm leaving, Emylin. Come with me. I will keep you safe."

The lights in the kitchen suddenly turned on.

"Alteaza."

We both turned to Leah who appeared suddenly beside us. Though she didn't show much fear, I could sense it from her. Her eyes shifted from Asmo then back at me. "Julian is looking for you."

It had to be a lie. Once Julian left the shower and didn't find me he'd tear the house apart to make sure Asmo wasn't anywhere near me.

As she reached for my hand, Asmo turned to her. "Touch her and you will regret it."

She swallowed. "Asmodeus--"

The air rippled with dark power.

Immediately, Leah was thrown across the room and pinned against the wall so hard she yelped.