• ten •

Song: Breathless - I M U R
Dedicated to BadEros for giving me a really great playlist <3 !

I hadn't slept fully in days. Between the late night assignments I was trying to finish before the end of the semester and the investigation ongoing in the Underworld, I'd barely had any rest.

Damien and I argued for what seemed like hours after Chelie left that day.

I did not want to stay in the Keep. He didn't want me to go back to my apartment.

In the end, I went back to my apartment with Mehnit faithfully beside me. More guards were stationed with me but stayed outside of my apartment.

Despite Chelie's warning and Damien's constant worry...nothing happened.

I was starting to believe it was all a ruse to keep us distracted. Just like before. Damien and the Guard were not lenient on those already captured. Most didn't know anything outside of Robyn's promises to them because, like most, they just didn't care.

No one brought Robyn up in the Keep despite what was just learned. The journals were pored over but brought nothing new in the days that followed.

I wanted to believe that it would all blow over, that everyone overreacted for no reason.

I knew, deep down, I was wrong.

I could feel it in in my bones.

But there was nothing to suggest that things couldn't go back to normal.

Even Damien was gaining his strength back. I could feel the difference in his power. I felt it growing like mine once had.

"How's the studying going?"

I rubbed my tired eyes as I waited for my coffee at the small coffee shop outside of my apartment. It was the first time I finally left on my own in days. I needed caffeine to wake me and get me through the latest assignment. "Not good, it's hard to concentrate I'm so tired. I'm getting coffee."

"You should sleep, Em," Damien's voice was concerned. "When was the last time you had some sleep?"

I sighed. "I honestly can't remember."

"Come home, Em. I would feel a lot better if you stayed at the Keep, even with the extra guards you have, I have a hard time not worrying about you after what Ix Chel said."

I shook my head. "I'll be fine, Damien, honest. I just--I can't keep hiding anymore, you know?"

I could hear Damien heave a sigh. "I know. Just don't go too far without Mehnit or your Guard?"

I smiled. "Yes, Dad, whatever you say."

Damien snorted. "Real funny, Em. I'll see you later."

I shook my head, still smiling. "Bye, Damien."

I couldn't hide my smile, even as I pocketed my phone.

A girl cleared her throat. "Hey, Emmy."

I turned to the voice and froze as I put my phone away in my pocket.

She gave a small smile, placing her stray black hair behind her ear. "It's been a while."

I eyed the coffee she placed on the counter in front of me in apprehension.

She noticed my hesitation. "Oh, no, no. Don't worry, it's not poisoned." She gave a shy smile again. "I work here. I promise."

As if the green apron she had on wasn't an indicator. I shook my head despite it, sliding the coffee on the counter back to her. "No, thanks, Leah."