• twenty-seven •

I yawned loudly as I woke, stretching under the heavy blankets. As I did, I felt Julian's strong arm pull me closer to him behind me.

I smiled to myself reveling in the ecstasy of the night before. He'd been gentle. More than gentle. And sweet, so very sweet for my first time. He was patient, kind and didn't push when I didn't feel comfortable.

And I felt more than comfortable with him.

I giggled when he moved my hair away from my neck and began to kiss it gently. "Good morning."

His kisses left my skin on fire as he slowly traveled down my bare back. I bit my lip to contain my laugh as he did. His hand reached for my hip his fingers trailing the silhouette of my naked skin. Again? Was he really going to do it again?

I turned over to face him, trying to pull away from his touch. We had to get ready for the day. There was still information to be shared, we couldn't stay in bed the rest of the day. I looked at the ferocity of his eyes and melted.

Maybe staying in bed all day wasn't a bad idea...

He kissed my forehead gently. "Hey."

I smiled. "Hi."

"How are you feeling?"

I frowned trying to understand what he meant. When I took a mental check of myself, I realized what it was. "A little sore."

He smiled, kissing me again. "That's perfectly natural."

I trailed the dark tattoos on his chest, following the flowing patterns. "What are these for? Do they have a special meaning?"

I could see his smile in the corner of my eye as I traced them.

"I received that one as soon as I joined the Underworld Army. It's believed to give strength to the bearer. Superstition, of course."

I outlined another one that wrapped around his shoulder. Small symbols clustered together to form a tendril over his chest.

"Stealth," he answered. He took my hand and placed it over the left side of his chest. "This one I received when I successfully led my first siege during the Winter War." He moves my hand again, this time to a dark swirl where his ribs met his stomach. "This one I received in the Winter Queendom with special permission from Aira. I'm the only one in the Underworld to receive such a privilege."

I frowned. "Because you helped them negotiate peace?"

Julian nodded. "That's right."

"Does everyone in the army get these?"

He nodded. "Most do if they want but it's a rite of passage. I haven't heard of any refuse them. Women's are a little different. They'll have marks of grace, strength, balance. Women fight differently than men. They use their lithe stature to their advantage."

"Hmm." I traced the one of the lines from his stomach and up towards his neck. "Did the Light have anything like this?"

He grabbed my hand and before I knew it, I was on my back with him on top of me watching me.y hands were trapped in his as he held them firmly in place over my head on the pillow. "That tickles."

I laughed. "I didn't know you were very ticklish."

He placed his knees between mine and dipped his head to the crook of my neck. He trailed kisses from my shoulder to my earlobe.

"Again?" I breathed.

He chuckled deeply and I felt it through my chest as he pressed his naked torso against mine. "I can't help it. You're irresistible." I could feel his smile. "I can stop if you don't like it."