• eight •

Song: Phantogram - You're Mine

My hands didn't shake during the swearing-in ceremony. They didn't shake as I placed the symbolic sash over the new Lady's shoulders. It was surprising, considering I hated public speaking above anything else.

Maybe I was getting used to the new role Damien bestowed upon me. They didn't shake because I was resolute in my decision.

I would help Damien as much as I could until he recovered. When he recovered, I would go back to my life as I wanted it.

I was queen in title only but I would own the role just as Damien had taught me.  I wouldn't give anyone else the chance to question his decision or my abilities.

They didn't shake as I placed an ornate pin on the lapel of the newly elected man on the Council. Unlike being a Lord or Lady, where one was born into the title, the new man was elected by the Council itself. He had to go under a strict background check of his lineage and history and then an interview with Asmo himself.

He had a small interview with me as a formality but Asmo and Damien took over for which I was grateful for.

After both ceremonies were over, Damien found me and held my hand firmly in appreciation. "You did great," he whispered in my ear as he helped me away from the dais I had presented the sashes and pins on.

I smiled. "It's getting easier every time."

He tried to stifle a laugh but failed. "That shade of green did make you look like a goblin. I'm glad it's gone."

I shook my head, hiding my own smile.

There weren't many people for the celebration. They were mostly Council Members, people I never met and family of Lord what's-his-name. I felt like a stranger the longer I stayed and I faked the conversations with those there.

Someone laughed across the room. When I finally found the group where the laughter came from, Asmo was among them. He, himself, wasn't laughing. He was watching the group of men and women laugh with a small smile. The fact that he wasn't a Dreamwalker disturbed me. If he wasn't manipulating my dreams then what was happening?

I didn't feel anything for him in any romantic way that would cause me to remotely fantasize a kiss. Was it because of what happened with Julian? Had I somehow deflected it back to...Asmo?

The thought made my skin crawl.

Damien was right. Asmo wasn't harmless. He took advantage of situations if he could, was manipulative and yet...he helped me saved my parents, planned their escape, helped me overthrow Robyn...

Robyn threw him into the dungeons because of me...

And he still didn't ask for anything in return.

"You are going to burn a hole through Asmo if you continue to stare."

I jumped at Damien's words, blinking.

Gods, I was staring. "I'm going for some fresh air."

Damien nodded but didn't follow.

There was one thing that Julian had been right about. The longer I was in the Keep surrounded by dark magic from the Lords and Ladies, the more I could feel it overwhelm me. Only it wasn't just dark magic. Dark magic I could handle. It was dark energy that radiated from Council Members and some of the Lords and Ladies. They were nice enough and some were kind but their energy would make it hard to breathe.

Damien was right, too. Humans were incredibly susceptible to magic. Elemental faes like those from the Autumn, Summer, Spring and Winter were not as likely to fall if they were careful. Light faes felt everything in life and, in turn, could absorb the darkness from the magic.