• forty-two •

//dedicated to @TitaniaAvery - you've been so helpful, thank you so much.

song: artificial paradise (explicit) - vlad holiday (thank you, Spotify)

I stared at the dress that would be mine for the night as it was draped across one of the leather armchairs.

It was black, of course. But my style.

It wasn't a large ball gown like Robyn would want me dressed in. It wasn't revealing like the dresses Perri would occasionally pick for me.

It looked like something I would wear.

It was modest and simple but...not. Embroidered lace overlay a tan fabric on the bodice. Rather than being layers of fabric upon fabric like I'd seen others wear in many parties, it was simple black silk that draped to the floor.

It was elegant, not over the top and something I would have picked out myself.

I picked it up in my hands and ran my hands over the lace. The fabric was heavy, sturdy. Exquisite.

A glimmer of silver beneath the dress caught my eye. It was a mask to hide almost the entirety of my face. It covered from the hair line to below the cheekbones, only my lips, jaw and chin would be exposed.

It was a costume party, after all.

I could feel him watching me. He had turned away from the view of the balcony and turned towards me. What reaction was he expecting?

Internally, I was disgusted. I knew I didn't want anything to do with him. I'd rather be dead than go to anything with him as his date. Did he think that he could parade me around like a prize -costume party or not- and I wouldn't put up a fight?

That's what he was expecting--a fight.

But what if I didn't? He seemed to have been at ease when we were both agreeing in front of the man from Tenebrous. He smiled in delight when I acted like the dark queen he wanted...

I cleared my throat, not looking away from the dress. "All right. What time does it start?" I turned to him. "Do we at least have matching masks?"

He raised an eyebrow. He looked quietly curious. He wasn't expecting that response. "No fighting? I was expecting at least an insult."

I shrugged then placed the dress back on the armchair carefully. "We have a deal. You're my spy. I'm your queen. You want me to trust you." I set the mask down on top of it. "This means that you have a good reason for me to agree." I crossed my arms. "Am I wrong?"

Asmo couldn't hide the smile on his handsome face. He was laughing at me, I was sure of it. "Mal will be there."

I looked at him incredulously.

"I thought you'd want to see what she is like when she's not trying to kill you. You might find a weakness in her as one of the Light."

I approached him. "And what's your plan so that she doesn't recognize me?"

He straightened slightly. "Leave that to me."

Was he serious? "No. I need reassurance first." I paused. "Unless I'm being asked to dress up pretty for slaughter. Is that your plan?"

He rolled his eyes. "Hardly. If she finds out about my association with you, being a prince will not save me." He stopped for a moment. "Which reminds me of something you should know." He looked at his nails. "Wherever it is you're hiding better be good. Mal is wasting no effort in finding Damien."

That was interesting. "Finding...Damien?" I asked slowly trying to digest what he was saying.

"She's taken with him. She is very interested in getting him back to safety."