• fifty-one •

//space song - beach house

Kymra and Oren were the first to go after I convinced them I would be all right.

"All right," Kymra said hesitantly. "But only because you're insisting."

I smiled then hugged her. "Yes. I insist. Please, enjoy your time together."

When I pulled back, I noticed Kymra watched as Oren shook hands with Damien across the room.

She seemed anxious maybe a little on edge, almost like she was ready to get it over with, but not scared.

I sighed deeply. "I never thanked you, for everything you've done. For taking my place with Robyn, for coming back for us and helping us--thank you."

Kymra smiled warmly. "It's my sworn duty to protect you, Alteaza."

I shook my head. "You don't have to call me that--"

She smiled again. "I know, Emmy. But I know no one else that's worthy of it. Saving you and helping you, it was the right thing to do."

I swallowed the lump in my throat. It was the right thing to do. Not because she was using me for my power, not because it benefited the Underworld.

She helped me because it was the right thing to do. I wasn't sure if anyone had told me that before.

Somehow, I was able to hold back my tears. "Thank you, Kymra."

She looked over at Julian, who stood next to Oren and Damien. "I've never seen Julian this happy. Not in decades." She looked back at me. "Well, all things considered." She smiled. "I'm glad I went to him when I did to find you after Robyn took you."

I watched her as she smiled back at Oren who approached her.

He raised his eyebrows as he looked at me. "You and Julian."

I smiled and nodded slowly. "Me and Julian."

He looked at Kymra who playfully elbowed him in the ribs. "I told you," she whispered.

Oren sighed as if in relief. "You'd told me about yourself and Damien. I didn't know about Julian."

I frowned. Right. Oren was really the only person we told we weren't together after Paris. Until I told Julian.

Oren only looked at me with a knowing smile. He nodded toward me and when I smiled back, they disappeared from in front of me, presumably spectering to their chosen location.

I sighed deeply once they left, watching Julian and Damien deep in conversation. I leaned on the dining room table as I watched them. Who knew how well they'd get along after all?

I looked at Leah as she approached. "Where do you think you'll go?"

She shook her head. "Nowhere. I'm staying here with Damien. My parents wouldn't like it if I left the house to someone they don't really know."

I snorted. I didn't look over at her as I spoke to her. "Right."

Leah tensed at my sarcastic response. "Y-yeah, you know, they wouldn't like it!"

I laughed quietly. "No, I understand." I looked back at her. "So, you and Damien, huh?"

She had her fingernails in her mouth. She looked so nervous! "No!" She paused. "Well, nothing official. We were just talking and one thing led to another and we kissed. You know, a couple of times." She sighed. "If anything official does happen, I want to take it slow this time, you know? No pressure to marry or anything like that."