• thirty •

"I need to practice defense more," I looked at Julian seated next to me on the couch. "Julian, will you come with me?"

Julian's grey eyes deadpanned as he looked at me. He looked so different from his usual cocky demeanor. Maybe he was in pain. "You just put an ice pack on my shoulder."

I nodded. "So, no?"

Leah looked at me from where she stood behind the couch. She was handing him a salve they had made from plants in the woods. His shoulder, which had been dislocated by dark magic during an exercise would take longer to heal.

Leah was firm. "I don't think so."

Damien stood from his seat on the other side of the couch. "Come on, Em. You can practice with me."

Julian looked at him warily. "You will take it easy on her. Don't dislocate her shoulder."

Damien shrugged but I could see him fight a smile. "If that's what she wants."

The fight between them ended with Damien sporting a bloody nose and Julian with a dislocated shoulder.

I practically jumped at the opportunity. "Outside?"

Damien nodded towards the back doors. "After you."

I leaned over to Julian and planted a kiss on his lips.

He grabbed my wrist before I moved away, making me pause. His studious eyes were suspicious. "You will be careful. You won't push yourself."

I kissed him again. "Of course."

Julian looked at Damien. "Damien?"

"I won't push too hard," Damien promised.

He hesitated but let me go slowly. "Stay close too?"

I smiled. "I promise."

I moved towards the closed back doors with Damien closely behind. As soon as the doors were closed and we were going down the back steps, I laughed. "You better not take it easy on me."

Damien laughed. "Careful what you wish for."

•••••••••••••••

I let out a long, slow breath, attempting to steady my rattling nerves. I wanted to move from my hiding spot to get a better vantage point but fear kept me still.

I pushed my back against the trunk of the tree when I heard the crunch of leaves somewhere nearby.

"Come on, Em," Damien's smooth voice cooed. I held my breath. He was closer than I thought. "Come on out."

I swallowed as I ran through my options. I was running out of time.

"You can't hide forever." His voice was close, like a soft caress.

This was too familiar. Too real.

I remembered the last time he spoke like that.

It wasn't Damien then, it was Robyn. He had taunted me and ridiculed me in the woods. He boasted his victory.

Gods, it was too familiar.

I closed my eyes. Robyn was dead. He was gone. It was Damien there, not that monster.

I tried to feel around with my magic. I tried to find his location in the wooded area but couldn't make it farther than a few feet.

I sucked in a breath, almost collapsing on my knees. It was exhausting trying to concentrate on which one to use. Both Light and Dark were within me, they were both so tightly bound it was impossible to distinguish which was which.