• forty-six •

//song: Here We Stand - Hidden Citizens

I reached out for Asmo's arm. When he looked at me, I didn't hide my smile. "She's close," I whispered.

I could feel her reassuring feline presence. It was like we were back home again and she was curled near my feet.

He gave an encouraging smile and lightly placed a hand on mine as it rested on the crook of his elbow.

I steadied my breathing as we continued along the dark halls. My heart was fluttering in my chest. I couldn't stop my smile.

She was scared and alone but we were close.

Hold on Mehnit, I willed quietly. Please hold on.

As we were about to round the corner, he stopped, placing his arm out to me cutting off my stride. He turned to me and placed his finger on his lips.

My heart was in my throat. "Now what?" I mouthed.

He nodded to what was around the corner. He didn't drop my hand as I moved around him and carefully looked. I peeked quickly and pushed myself back into hiding.

Three guards were at a door in full armor. I frowned. How would we get past them? Were they guarding Mehnit's door?

I wanted to reach out with my magic and try to read her but decided against it. Asmo told me not to use my powers and not to specter unless I wanted us to be found.

I bit my lip, resisting every urge to do it.

I could feel her close but I wanted to be sure. I wanted to know she was really there.

I turned to Asmo and saw he had his eyes closed. His hand gripped mine firmly. A moment later I felt the earth move under my feet.

I leaned against the wall for balance as the foundations of the Keep shook.

Someone shouted from where I had seen the guards and an unnatural screeching echoed through the walls.

My blood froze in my veins.

That sound couldn't come from a living creature. It was too high-pitched, the frequency unnatural. I felt it cut through me, like someone was taking a knife and slicing through my skin and bone.

I clenched my jaw, feeling my teeth begin to grind against the gods-awful noise...

Something clicked within me and without meaning to my hand balled into a fist. Power flowed through me. It was me. I lifted my hand, watching my fist radiate with white light--

I blinked when Asmo took my free hand. He moved, pulling me across the hall with him. He moved so quickly I could barely register what was happening in the hall we passed.

The guard was gone along with whatever had been making the noise before. Asmo pulled my arm again and when he finally did let go, I stumbled through the threshold of the previously closed door.

A distraction. Asmo somehow conjured a distraction for the guard so we could get to the door.

I looked at him and froze in my step.

He closed the door as soon as we made it through but he didn't turn. He kept his back to me, shielding his face from view. His shoulders were hunched over as he placed a hand on the wall so he could steady himself.

He shuddered as he breathed deeply, trying to catch his breath.

He was controlling...something. Like it was within himself. He was trying to hold something back.

Shadows clung to him. They moved unnaturally despite the small light in the room. They weren't shadows at all. They moved too freely on their own almost as if they were living entities of their own. They molded to his form making it seem as if they were really a part of him.