• fifty •

//song: sleep baby sleep - broods

Not sure how this one will go but here goes nothing.

•••••••••••

I inhaled sharply as I woke to the soft rustling of fabric.

The room was dark. I didn't even remember falling asleep.

I blinked against the darkness. "Julian?"

"I'm sorry," he whispered. "I didn't mean to wake you."

I frowned. "I tried to wait up--"

"Shh," he whispered again. He sat down on the bed next to me making the lush mattress sink under his weight. I could make it out the outline of his face from the moonlight filtering through the window. "Don't worry about it, Emylin. You were tired."

I placed my head on his shoulder. His scent was familiar. Spice and sandalwood.

I smiled to myself. "Hmm, I missed this."

His fingers ran through my hair, his lips brushing against my hairline. "I did too."

I sighed heavily, watching Mehnit as she curled up in the corner of the room and licked her paw. "How did it go? The hunt?"

"Exactly as planned. She's magnificent to watch hunt. I wish you could have seen it."

"Hmm," I whispered. "I rather not. And Kymra?"

"She's in her room with Oren. He left your door to check on her as soon as he saw me. He'll be back to guard your door as soon as he can." He sighed softly. "I'll leave as soon as he comes back."

I frowned, looking at him. "You're leaving? Why?"

"Emylin, I would never assume-"

I swallowed. "You're not assuming, Julian." My eyes met his. "This whole bargain with Asmo, it never changed how I feel about you. It never changed what I wanted with you." I moved, climbing onto his lap with both knees on either side of his hips. "I love you, Julian. What you said that night, I want that too. Skryen, with you every night, every morning--Gods," I groaned, scratching my head. "I can't even remember word for word what you said but--it was perfect--that's what I want too. I want it all with you."

With his fingers in my hair, he pulled my face towards his. I felt myself come undone in the kiss. My lips were shaking. My fingers dug into his shoulders, I was afraid of letting him go.

He pulled away, pressing his forehead against mine. "I had said that I love you, Emylin." His voice was low. I couldn't help the stupid grin I had on my face. "I want to spend the rest of my days with you in Skryen. Or at the Keep. Whatever you decide to do, wherever you decide to live. I want you. I want to be with you."

I laughed, the sound was almost foreign. "I want to be with you too."

I could imagine lazy mornings in Skryen. It seemed so much more within reach now. I pictured waking long after the sun had risen with walks to the Market like the first time I visited. I imagined visiting the people there, the small shops and clubs. Maybe we would visit Damien at the Keep when we could.

Maybe we could learn about Elysium, we could visit it again as often as we wanted. I could image falling asleep under the stars in Elysium with only the humming of the creatures of the forest as company.

I couldn't imagine marriage and children. At least not right away. But I knew I wanted to be with only Julian for the rest of my days.

He kissed me again, his hands traveled up my thighs to my hips. "As tempting as you look right now, we should sleep as much as we can. It's almost morning."