• twenty-six •

//Song: Apocalypse - Cigarettes After Sex

A loud sound jolted me awake from the couch.

I squinted as I followed it and found the large grandfather clock in the corner of the dimly lit room.

My body was achy, still curled on the cold leather couch.

I stood, taking the three steps to the curtains and opening them.

I froze and looked at the curtains in my hands. The curtains were open when I fell asleep. I remembered seeing the rooftops of the townhomes, as my eyes drifted to sleep.

Were they made to close on their own after a certain time...or had someone closed them on purpose?

As I watched the scenery, dread began to set in. It was past dark. I looked at the grandfather clock again. It was marking eleven.

"Shit." It was late. Too late.

Everyone would have noticed I'd been gone by now.

I was so stupid. So stupid. I let my anger get the better of me and in doing so came up with a half-baked plan. I expected Asmo to show up not long after I spectered, he was supposed to have sensed my arrival.

He didn't show up at all. The room was completely empty. I didn't feel his presence at all.

And if he had, what would I have done? Talk to him?

I sighed, rubbing my face with my hands. "You're a genius, Emmy," I mumbled to myself sarcastically.

I spectered immediately back to Leah's home, kicking myself as I did.

I stumbled forward in the dimly lit room into a dresser I didn't realize was next to the bed. The dim lamp on the nightstand was the only source of light. I held my head against the dizziness I suddenly felt. "Ow." I frowned, willing the pain to go away.

"Good," Julian's voice said in the darkness. "You're finally back."

I turned towards his voice just in time to see him cross his arms.

"I was beginning to think you had finally run off with Asmo."

I looked at his tense demeanor and swallowed. The muscles in his arms tensed as he flexed his fists. He was angry, furious but his eyes.

There was such sadness in his eyes.

I took a deep breath. "It's not what you think, Julian."

He raised an eyebrow. "No? You didn't go to Kingstown after I asked you to stay?" He chuckled. "You didn't go to the restaurant district of Kingstown?"

How did he even know?

"I know for a fact Asmodeus has an apartment in the area. No one knows exactly where since it can't be sensed and no one can enter." He smiled and it was anything but comforting. "But I bet he gave you access, didn't he?" He shook his head. "I'm such a moron. He charmed you in the Keep, didn't he? While Damien was out getting better, Asmo made sure he was there for you. As soon as you saw him again after Elysium, you forgot everything that happened between us."