• thirty-six •

//song: Down - Oceans Ahead

"What are we going to work on today?" Damien asked as soon as Julian and I made it outside. We met him at the large clearing beyond the wooden deck of the backyard right after Leah ran upstairs to change. It was a large space and had been used by Leah and her family to play volleyball and flag football when everyone was at the vacation home.

It was hot. Muggy. The humidity was suffocating the clean air around us. It was like moving through a fog and not ideal for any sort of exercise outside.

It was the type of day I would want to spend inside. I'd sit by the bay window of my parent's kitchen and watch the sun clear through while I read my favorite book.

But we had no choice, we couldn't do that anymore. We couldn't do things we wanted to do. We couldn't waste any more time.

"We are going to change it up today. I will be training someone new." Julian's voice was jovial, light-hearted. It didn't sound like he was going to give Damien news he wasn't going to like to hear. "You and Emylin will be practicing against each other while I catch her up."

Damien looked squarely at me. His mauve eyes seemed to burn with anger. "This is a terrible idea, Em." Before, I would have caved and changed my mind if it were my idea that would cause him any sort of displeasure.

But not now. Not anymore.

Instead, I crossed my arms. "I think it's a brilliant idea. We need help. She offered. She is a woman and therefore powerful. She's helping."

Damien's lip curled slightly. "Or she'll finish killing us all off."

I shook my head. "She said herself she was manipulated by Robyn. I believe her. We can't continue to hold it against her. She's changed since then; I've seen it in her."

He snorted. "Doubtful. I haven't seen it."

My nostrils flared. My anger was brimming beneath the surface and it was ready to burst. "Because you refuse to see it. She deserves a second chance. She's risking her life for us she's giving us a place to stay while the Underworld army searches for us, for you. She's risking her family's safety too."

He shook his head. "I hope your hope isn't misplaced, Em."

The sound of the slider door opening then closing made all of us turn toward the house.

Leah was ready for action. She put her short hair in a makeshift ponytail away from her face. She was wearing workout clothes and sneakers and small gloves to protect her hands.

Damien groaned. "This is going to be uncomfortable."

My fists balled up at my sides and shook in anger. Uncomfortable? He couldn't be uncomfortable for once? Wasn't he willing to do what it took to claim his birthright? "We're all willing to do what it takes to get your throne back, Damien." I met his gaze, unwilling to back down. My anger gave me the courage to stand up to him. "Gods forbid you do the same."

Damien's shoulders flinched slightly at my words.

But considering the circumstances, it didn't affect me.

After a moment, he looked towards the trees. "I'm going off on my own. I rather practice by myself."

I huffed. "You shouldn't-"

Julian's hand touched my elbow gently and when I looked at him, his eyes were sad.

"Stay close if you can." He smiled though Damien didn't turn to look at him. "Don't want to go looking in the woods for you."

Despite not looking at us, I could see Damien smile slightly at Julian's attempt at a joke. "Of course. I'll be back soon."

Rather than spectering, he walked towards the trees until I couldn't see him anymore.

I turned to Julian with confusion. "He shouldn't leave, Julian. That's too dangerous."

Julian shrugged. "Maybe. But he'll be fine." He sighed deeply. "You really hurt him."

I looked at him surprised.

"It was something he needed to hear, and especially from you." He looked again to where Damien disappeared. "He realized that he has disappointed you and himself by not doing more." He paused. "But we can't fight amongst ourselves. We can't afford it." He looked at me again. "I understand where you're coming from but I also understand him. Be kind to each other, Emylin. You've both gone through so much, he is still working on his faults and shortcomings too. I'm sure he feels like shit."

I breathed deeply, letting his words sink in. "He needs to understand that we all make sacrifices."

He smiled softly. "He knows you're right and will come around. Give him time to think. Your words really hurt him and they're making him reflect."

I frowned. "How do you know?"

This time, he frowned. "Couldn't you feel it? I'm only half-Light and could feel his disappointment and hurt."

I swallowed. No, I didn't read him like that at all. Was I losing touch?

His hand reached out to tuck a loose hair behind my ear. It was a small touch, barely a graze of his fingers against my temple but my body flinched slightly without me meaning it to.

Julian's perfect brow frowned slightly. He definitely noticed. "We better get started."

●●●●●●●

Painfully short chapter. But I'm working on it. I really hated not giving you anything in so long.

Thank you to everyone that has been there for me during the most painful times of our lives. You have all been amazing. I couldn't have continued without you.

I'm hoping to have another update for you soon. I'm slowly finding my voice again.

For those of you that have no idea what I'm talking about, it's all in the Announcement Book on my profile.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT HAS NOMINATED FRIENDS WITH THE KING OF THE UNDERWORLD OR ANY OF THE BOOKS ON THE FICTION AWARDS. THIS MEANS EVERYTHING TO ME!!!

If you want to nominate, please go ahead! I really do appreciate it! ❤️

https://www.wattpad.com/731786535-the-fiction-awards-2019-nominations-open

(Or search for thefictionawards in wattpad and look for their 2019 Fiction Awards book)

Also, I finally realized how far we are in this book and HOW MUCH MORE is left. Needless to say, this is going to be a little longer than I thought. It might be along the lines of book 2 where it was 53 chapters long. RIP me. I have a long way to go.

I hope you'll stay with me through this!