• fifty-two •

The Fae Chichén Itzá was breathtaking.

It was the Fae city not the human one, Julian clarified. Fae's would often imitate humans and take their cultures and make it their own.

It rested high in the mountains where I could see clouds curl into the trees on the mountain side. A waterfall crashed nearby and monkeys climbed from tree to tree.

My parents, Julian and I talked for what seemed like hours at the edge of the infinity pool. I sat on the edge while they swam and splashed each other in the water. I dipped my legs in the cool water and watched the pool stretch on forever and seem to fall into the rainforest below.

I told my parents everything.

Well, almost everything.

I purposely left out why I wanted to see them. I didn't want to worry them and mentioning that I feared we wouldn't make it and it was why I wanted to see them would darken the mood.

Asmo stayed close, but quiet. He didn't move from the corner of the room much to Julian's annoyance.

Julian wouldn't let me out of his sight. He would even go as far as escorting me to the bathroom when I went. Whether it was because he wanted Asmo to stay away from me or did not trust Chelie's guards that watched us, I wasn't sure.

For a moment, it seemed like the worries of the real world could melt away. I didn't have to worry about anything outside of the room. I didn't have to worry about returning to the Underworld and all of the troubles we would run into there.

I was happier sitting by the pool with my legs in the water swaying back and forth, listening to my parents bicker holding Julian's hand with Mehnit sitting next to me, ever vigilant.

"Emmy?"

I turned to Chelie as she called me. Chelie stood nearby in her formal regalia. Her deeply tanned skin seemed to glow under the layers of beads that decorated her figure. The brightly colored stones shown unnaturally in the dying daylight. I could faintly hear their song as they moved against each together.

On her head sat one of the most beautiful tiaras I'd ever seen. It was bright yellow with precious stones. The intricate design curled over then under with bright diamonds.

She was stunning.

She smiled brightly at me as I stood to meet her. "Can I see you for a moment?" She looked at both Julian and Asmo as they moved towards me at her words. "Queens only, unfortunately. I will deliver her back safely."

Asmo crossed his arms. "My queen will not be leaving my sight."

Julian squeezed my hand as he turned back from Asmo. "I will follow out of earshot, if Her Majesty will allow it." I realized he didn't want Asmo to have a chance to be alone with me if he could help it.

Chelie looked at me with a kind smile. "What say you, Underworld queen?"

I bit my lip. I didn't want to leave my parents alone again but they'd been alone this entire time and were fine. I couldn't imagine something happening to them now that I was there. If Damien trusted Chelie, I could trust her too.

I didn't want Julian to leave me and asking Asmo to stay with them would do me no good.

I nodded. "I would prefer them by my side. Out of earshot."

Chelie nodded again. She extended a hand to me. "Come with me."

Mehnit trotted happily next to me as I met Chelie.

She took my extended hand gently and placed it on the crook of her elbow. As she began to walk away from the large infinity pool and into another room, she began to speak. "Your prince and guard are so intense!"