• forty-three •

//song: lana del rey - season of the witch

For the first time ever there was a toss-up on which song to use for this chapter. My girl Lana del Rey released a song to go along with a movie based on my favorite book series as a child.
Alternatively, you can listen to bad guy by Billie Eilish which was the original song that was going to be here.

●●●●●●●

I ran my hands over the fabric of the dress, smoothing it down. I let out a long breath as I did to steady my nerves.

Gods, I was already sweating.

Looking at my reflection, I tried again to breathe out my anxiety. While the mask covered some of my face, the part that wasn't covered I put on light make-up. Crimson lipstick finished off my rosy cheeks and darkly outlined eyes. My hair which was just barely grazing my shoulders on its own was glamoured to be long and black--like how I'd seen some of the girls at the Saddaim party in Skryen months ago.

Briefly, I wondered what time it was. I anticipated Asmo would rush me as the day wore on but he didn't do anything like that.

During the day, he left me in his home alone to shower and change.

I could have gone back to Leah's home but the thought of running into any of them again made my stomach turn.

Especially Julian.

Instead, I stayed in Asmo's small home. I passed the time in his study looking over the books he was hiding from Mal and practicing my magic.

When the time came to get ready, I didn't shower. I didn't trust Asmo and I wasn't going to find out if he really did leave me alone or not. I changed like my mother had taught me once--putting the new clothes over the old so that I didn't show more skin than needed.

Leah's words seemed to echo louder than ever in my mind. I had to flirt, I had to be--I cringed--charming. This was my chance to start getting back at Asmo.

It was a party. I was his date.

My stomach twisted.

It was almost an hour later when I gathered the courage I needed for the night. Giving myself one last look in the mirror, I nodded at my reflection and stepped out.

It was already night time when I emerged in the living room ready. The light crystals in their sconces gave a soft warm light throughout the space as the darkness outside grew. I stepped out to one of the large windows that overlooked the small cobblestone avenue just outside the apartment and watched as the light posts lit up one by one on their own.

A small child ran through the street below after his mother squealing in laughter. The small restaurant district was coming to life.

I felt Asmo's presence in the room suddenly. He probably spectered. My dark magic sensed his as he approached me.

"It's Friday," Asmo said as he stepped beside me. He was looking at the cobblestone road just like I was. "The district comes alive then."

"Hmm," I said softly. "Fae's have nine to five's?" I looked at him with his black mask. He looked polished, ever the prince of a dark kingdom. "I thought having a job like that was a human thing," I teased.

Asmo only chuckled. His dark eyes behind his mask seemed to bore into me as he watched me.

He wanted a dark queen, I reminded myself. I thought about the power I felt when sitting on the throne with him there. The way it reverberated through me. There was satisfaction in his eyes then, like he thought he'd won.