• sixty-four •

Whispers echoed around me in the void.

I could hear them everywhere. Around and in me.

They grew and faded and grew again.

Women and men's voices continued to grow and soon, my senses were overrun with them.

"The Valkyries!"

"...get them now!"

"... match for the mercenaries..."

"...saved me from my demons...."

I pulled myself into consciousness, sitting up in a luxurious bed I didn't recognize.

The unfamiliar room was magnificent. Large windows covered one side of the room letting a lot of light into it.

Something in the corner of my eye moved. I flinched instinctively back bringing my knees to my chest.

I felt my heart stop as the large creature approached. I tried to control my breathing.

The large lion rested its chin on the bed next to me, its large eyes studying me closely.

Slowly, I moved my legs away from it. I tried to hide the shaking in my hands as I placed as much space as I could between us.

I swallowed. "N-Nice kitty." I reached back behind me, pulling the silky sheet off and placing my feet over the other side. "Nice kitty," I breathed.

It placed its large paw on the bed and slowly climbed up. I breathed as slowly as I could, placing as much space as I could between us.

My eyes scanned the room quickly and recognized a large set of doors across the room. While the large lion was between us, I knew I could somehow reach the door and escape.

I swallowed again, steadying my breathing. We circled each other across the room and with measured approach, I made my way to the door of the large unfamiliar room.

With every step I took, the large lioness took one with me. She was careful as she did and I wondered if she was moving at my pace or if she didn't want to startle me further.

My back met the doors and with deliberate carefulness, I reached and turned the doorknob.

The lioness took a step towards me apprehensively.

I raised my hand up. "No, no. stay."

The cat took a step then stopped.

I smiled, nodding. "Good kitty! Stay!"

The lioness sat, tilting her large head in confusion.

"Stay," I repeated as I began to squeeze through the open door. When I didn't see the lioness follow, I firmly shut the door and rested my forehead against the door.  

I sighed in relief then frowned against the headache that pounded against my temples.

Placing my hand on the door, I pushed myself off and took in my surroundings. As I walked down the large hall, I studied the ebony walls. They were like stone but it wasn't a stone I'd ever seen before. I approached one of the walls and touched it, mesmerized at how the lights moved within it. I pressed my hand against the wall and pulled it back. My handprint stayed on the wall for seconds then dispersed.

I frowned.

I had the strangest feeling of deja vu...

My eyes followed the large wall to the grand vaulted ceilings. It was like an old European cathedral or what I thought they looked like from pictures I'd seen. The shuffling of my bare feet on the cold ground even echoed.

I continued forward making my way to the end of the hall where two large doors loomed.

A deep growl made me turn.

The large lion that I had locked in the room was out.

My eyes shifted quickly to the door of the room I had left it in. It was still closed.

How?

It leaned back into its back legs and leapt.

I ran screaming as loud as I could and ran into a firm, flesh wall. A wall that hadn't been there just a second before.

I fell on the floor, my wrists scraping against the floor as they broke my fall.

Only one person I knew did that.

I flipped over, my elbows resting against the floor and pushed myself up so I could see the lion attack.

Instead of attacking either of us, the lion stood in front of Damien. It cocked its head as it looked at my frantic reaction.

Damien wasn't alarmed. He wasn't reacting like I thought he would when standing in front of a lion.

Damien didn't look at the lion, he crouched in front of me. His eyes were scanning me, full of worry. "What is it? What's wrong?"

Without hesitation, it stepped forward again.

I flinched. My arms flew over my head protecting my head with my puny arms. I shut my eyes tightly. "It's a lion, Damien!"

I felt him move next to me. "It's all right." His voice was smooth, calm. "She won't hurt you, Em."

I lowered my arm for a moment, and peaked over with one eye.

The lion was sitting in front of me, her tail tucked under her large body. Her eyes watched me with worry.

Damien's hand was stretched out towards me. "It's all right, Em."

I swallowed slowly and took his hand.

As he helped me up, I watched the lion warily, ready to take off screaming again.

Damien wrapped his fingers around mine. "It's all right, look."

He carefully pulled my fingers to the lion's nose. The lion sniffed my fingers then licked it.

I laughed when she did it again. "She's amazing!"

I looked up at Damien who frowned.

"What is it?"

He let my hand go and placed his hands on my shoulders. "What is the last thing you remember, Em?"

I frowned as I tried to sort my memories. A dull pain started in the back of my head. The more I pressed, the worse it became. "Everything's a little jumbled. Did I hit my head or something?"

Damien gave a small faltering smile. "It's important. What is the last thing you remember, Em?"

I exhaled sharply. "You brought me here to the Keep --Blackdown Keep?-- for my safety." I reached for my neck. "I have a Mark, I'm supposed to see the Magister. It's the week of your wedding to Leah. Your party is in a few days. Why?"